This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

One of my favorite break activities is curling up in bed and watching a movie, and this spring break, there are so many amazing films available to watch. The following three are a few of my more under-the-radar favorites.

1. Thoroughbreds — This was one of my top films of 2018. It’s a dark comedy that follows childhood friends Amanda and Lily who are brought together over the cruel and abusive tendencies of Lily’s stepfather. It’s funny yet moving and is gorgeously shot.  The friendship between Amanda and Lily is one of the most complex and intriguing relationships between two women that I’ve seen in media. It’s available for rent and purchase on Google Play, YouTube, and Amazon Prime.

2. Blockers — I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie! It follows three teenage girls whose parents try to stop them from losing their virginity on prom night. This film easily could have been regressive and offensive, but I found it to be refreshing, funny, and charming. It’s available for streaming on HBO and available for purchase on Google Play, YouTube, and Amazon Prime.

3. Sorry to Bother You — This is, by far, one of the most original movies I’ve ever seen. It follows a black telemarketer, Cash Green, who has to choose between profit at his corporate job or joining his activist friends in striking against the company. That premise might seem dull, but it’s actually both hilarious and eye-opening. It’s available for streaming on Hulu and available for purchase on Google Play, YouTube, and Amazon Prime.

Annie Rinaldi

Emerson '22

a
Emerson contributor