20 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Harry Potter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

1. Draco Malfoy is unable to conjure a patronus.

2. The word “Dumbledore” means “bumblebee” in old English.

3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the longest of the eight films.

4. The actress who plays Luna Lovegood, Evanna Lynch, wrote letters to J.K. Rowling prior to being cast in the films. J.K. Rowling promised Lynch the part of Luna if she was able to overcome her anorexia.

5. The Harry Potter book series has a page count of 4,224 pages.

6. Each of the houses has a designated ghost. Hufflepuff’s ghost is the Fat Friar, Slytherin’s ghost is the Bloody Baron, Ravenclaw’s ghost is the Grey Lady and Gryffindor’s ghost is Nearly Headless Nick.

7. When Harry is in the phonebooth with Arthur, Arthur types in a number to enter the Ministry of Magic. This number is 6-2-4-4-2, the numbers correspond to the letters in the word “magic.”

8. J.K. Rowling modeled professor Snape after her old chemistry teacher.

9. George and Fred Weasley’s birthday is April 1st.

10. McGonagall’s name is on the quidditch plaque that features Harry’s father’s name.

11. J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter share the same birthday (July 31).

12. Hermione’s character was modeled after J.K. Rowling herself.

13. J.K. Rowling gave Hermione an otter for her patronus because it is J.K. Rowling’s favorite animal.

14. Dementors are modeled after the feeling you get when someone you love passes away, which J.K. Rowling was inspired by after the death of her own mother.

15. Tom Felton originally read for the parts of Harry and Ron before being cast as Draco Malfoy.

16. The costume department had to sew the pockets of Tom Felton’s robe shut because he kept trying to smuggle food onto the set during filming.

17. Michael Jackson wanted to work with J.K. Rowling to produce a Harry Potter musical, but Rowling declined.

18. Geoffrey Chaucer’s “The Pardoner’s Tale” (a story within The Canterbury Tales) was the inspiration for the Deathly Hallows tale.

19. There are 700 fouls in quidditch.

20. J.K. Rowling almost killed off Ron during the series because of spite.

Source: Buzzfeed

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.
Emerson contributor