This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I love Halloween as much as the next person, which means I love Halloween. 

It’s a versatile holiday: people of all ages enjoy it, you get dressed up, and there’s candy. What’s not to love? However, I think Halloween music is severely underrated. It’s a whole genre, yet the second we see a brown leaf hit the ground, we get hooked on Christmas music and skip right over Fall. Fall is the best season, not just because it houses Halloween. The weather is mild, the foliage is beautiful, you can wear layers but don’t need to look like a snowman, and there is pumpkin everything, including actual pumpkins. This is the perfect time for the perfect party: a Halloween party. Halloween parties are a mix of creepy, yummy and nostalgic, and are overall just so much fun.

1. “Black Widow” — Booty Luv

I apologize an infinite amount of times for the name of this group, I am not sure who thought “Booty Luv” was a good idea, but I do not agree. I found this song from an ice skating video, and I am convinced I would not have found it otherwise, because, to most people, it doesn’t exist, which is a shame because it’s actually a pretty good song. The beat is fun and loud and the lyrics are reminiscent of Iggy Azalea’s “Black Widow,” except this song came first. It’s a perfect dancing song to let loose and then forget the next day. 

2. “Bloody Mary” — Lady Gaga

A huge draw to this song is the demented scream that occurs at the 1:25 mark. The lyrics mention Bloody Mary and death, all to the speed of a parlor piano that fits right into a haunted house. 

3. “Bury a Friend” — Billie Eilish

Everyone knows this song, which is fantastic because there should be at least one song you play that everyone knows. Like most Billie Eilish songs, “Bury a Friend” is clever and unsettling, with hints of creepy ASMR that pop up even when I am expecting them. 

4. “Calling All the Monsters” — China Anne McClain

“Calling All the Monsters” is the best Disney Channel song ever made, besides every song in Lemonade Mouth, which is clearly in a league of its own. The music video for this song is a dance party with skeletons and monsters, and the song is 100 percent fun, sassy, and kid-friendly. 

5. “Ghost” — Ella Henderson

I remember watching The X Factor in 2012 and seeing Ella Henderson sing an original song before singing her rendition of “Believe” by Cher. I thought she was going to be the next big thing. In 2014, she released an album, but after that, things pretty much went dark. Luckily, on that album, she left us with “Ghost,” a haunting ballad about a horrible relationship and how it has affected her as she tries to move on.

6. “Ghostbusters” — Walk the Moon

This is a classic, but I’m going to break every rule and suggest the Walk the Moon version. I feel like a traitor already. The Walk the Moon version is smooth and clear and new but still retains much of what is loved about the old version. 

7. “Graveyard” — Halsey

I like to think Halsey is applicable for all aspects of life, including the afterlife and pre-birth. Her lyrics are always fresh and well written, her personality is wonderful and her voice is uniquely beautiful and raspy at the same time. “Graveyard” has a similar storyline to “Ghost,” it tells the story of a bad relationship, but in the end, Halsey still wants to follow this person to the ends of the Earth, and frankly, so do I. 

8. “Haunted Heart” — Christina Aguilera  

I am an Addams Family junkie, so when I heard about The Addams Family coming out this year, I immediately wanted to know everything about it… and I have not been disappointed so far. Christina does what she does best: belts and growls her way into my heart with lyrics that are both adorable and creepy—  perfect Halloween vibes right there. 

9. “Hotel California” — Eagles

No, this is not a Halloween song per se, but it is a classic song, and an unsettling one with mystical imagery. In all seriousness though, I can’t resist any opportunity to plug this song into a list.

10. “I’m In Love With a Monster” — Fifth Harmony

Another family-friendly bop? Yes it is! This song is so much fun and the background music is danceable even for those who don’t dance. You could play it on repeat at a Halloween party as background noise, and people would love it as much as when they heard it for the first time. 

11. “I Put a Spell on You”— Bette Midler

For some reason, I wasn’t a fan of Hocus Pocus, but I am a fan of this song and this scene from the movie. Winifred completely transforms this song and makes it into a bop that everyone knows and loves.

12. “Like the Living Dead” — Ms. Triniti 

I found this song from Dance Moms, and it is perfect for Halloween. Every single lyric is hinged on something monstrous, all with a cute twist relating to a dance party. If I ever meet the boogeyman, this is how I want it to turn out: watching him do his thing as a DJ.

13. “October” — Alessia Cara 

“October” in Alessia Cara’s mind is not even remotely spooky, it is about a fleeting love. However, it is called “October” and has a distinct crisp, cool fall feel that could mix up any Halloween playlist with a little melancholy. 

14. “This is Halloween” — Marilyn Manson

Oh boy! Another classic! This song is creepy and droning and entirely cinematic. It’s an experience that everyone has experienced, and is always ready to dive into again. 

15. “Thriller” — Michael Jackson

I don’t know the dance, and I feel ashamed to say that. This song is a legend. The music video is almost 14 minutes long, and the actual song is six minutes long. Once it starts, I can’t even think about skipping it. The King of Pop does it any time of the year. 

I hope everyone has a fun and safe Halloween! Remember to be respectful and considerate of others, and always dance if you can!

Which songs are your go-to Halloween songs?

Olivia is a senior Creative Writing Major from New Hampshire. She loves to ice skate, write novels, and bake, as well as spend time with her elderly rabbit, who is the true star of the show.
Emerson contributor