The 11 Stages of Moving Out of the Dorms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

In a matter of days, we’ll all be packing our bags and filling up garbage bins and heading back to our lovely home towns. Or maybe we’ll be jetting off to Europe for a spectacular, and necessary, vacation. Or maybe we’ve got an amazing summer internship in New York or L. A. Regardless of the destination, we’ll be packing up and leaving Bean town for the next few months. If it’s your first time, it can be kind of scary. If it’s not, you’re probably a pro. But moving out of the dorms can affect us all very differently. One second you’re thrilled to be getting away, the next you’re crying into your NYP slice of pizza at 3am because you don’t want to leave all these beautiful people for the next four month. Don’t ruin that slice of cheesy goodness! It’s completely normal, and accepted to be on this roller coaster. So here are the stages of that ride, the different phases we all go through when moving out of our much loved dorm rooms!

1. Denial

I have to move out in two weeks? No, no I do not.

2.Picking out a checkout time

Oh shit, this is really happening

3. Packing your bags

I HAVE SO MANY THINGS

4. Anxiety

WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL OF MY THINGS?

5. The Last weekend

I love all these beautiful people, why do I have to leave them.

6. Finals

I hate this place.

7.  Excitement

I finally get to go home!

8. Depression

I’m going home.

9. Packing…continued

I’m a hoarder, I must be stopped.

10. Cleaning

How did I survive in this filth?

11. Checking Out

Oh God, please don’t fine me for that crack in the wall.

10. Acceptance.

I love it here, but I love being home as well.

11. SUMMER

Need we say more?

Maybe you’ve been thinking about leaving since January, or maybe you’d do anything to stick around in LB sharing bathrooms and good times, but the time has come. Move out is here and it’s an experience we all must share. Just try to make the most of it while you can.

Emerson contributor