10 White Girl Myths Disproved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

White girls. They piss off the old and scare the young. They are most active in the fall after their morning yoga and Starbucks run. BEWARE! In a society where stereotypes are frowned upon, everyone collectively condemns white girls to the same category. As a white girl, I think it is hilarious how many of these stereotypes are true of some girls, but also of other people as well. Here are a few #whitegirl stereotypes that are not solely white girl after all.  

1.  Starbucks 

Sure…

Us white girls love Starbucks. Whether it’s a frothy latte or iced coffee, we spend all of our money in one sweet-smelling establishment. 

But… 

So does everyone else. Paul Rudd in “Role Models,” the chief of FBI in “Miss Congeniality,” even Ryan Reynolds in “The Proposal” like their fair share of frappuccinos from the little green mermaid. 

2. Leggings/yoga pants 

Sure… 

Leggings are the biggest rage. They come in black, grey, orange, galaxy, etc… The list goes on and on. Pair them with a nice loose sweater, boots, and an infinity scarf and you have a classic white girl. 

But… 

Not every white girl accepts this trend. There are plenty of girls that still prefer to wear real pants and rock it! A good pair of jeans never hurt anybody.   

3. Mean Girls  

Sure… 

White girls quote Mean Girls like it’s nobody’s business. 

But… 

So do all girls. It’s the rules of feminism.

4. Being tan 

Sure… 

White girls are known to do the timed roll over on the beach while everyone else lathers on some SPF 40. 

But… 

No one can be worse than the male cast of Jersey Shore. They look more and more orange as the season goes on.  

5. Nutella  

Sure…

White girls put Nutella on bread, crackers, maybe even a nice steak occasionally.  

But… 

A lot of people have joined the Nutella bandwagon. There’s Nutella everything out there now. And personally, I like peanut butter way more, white girl and all. 

6. Uggs 

Sure… 

Uggs are on every white girl that passes you on the street. Especially since it is starting to get cold outside. 

But… 

Look! Guy Fieri is doing something with that Ugg boot. And it looks like he’s enjoying himself. (I guess)

7. iPhone 

Sure… 

White girls don’t know when to stop with selfies and Instagram and well… phones. 

But…

It is safe to say that pretty much every living breathing person who has a smart phone is somewhat addicted. I’m pretty sure my dad is addicted to his phone and last time I checked he isn’t a white girl. (God I hope not).

8. Twerking

Sure… 

Miley Cyrus, the wholesome white girl that she is, started the beautiful dance trend of shaking your butt like nobody’s watching. 

But… 

The trend has spread to every demographic of people. Even some bootylicious men have twerked their butts off on social media. 

9. Social Media 

Sure… 

White girls use Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook way too much. 

But… 

Everyone does it. Guys use social media just as much as girls in some instances. And yes, Vine counts.   

10. Sweaters 

Sure… 

When the first cold day hits New England all white girls pull out their incredibly comfy, slouchy sweaters. We have to wear something that will cover our butt when we wear leggings in the fall!

But…

Just about everyone loves a nice comfy sweater to jam in. Just give this guy an iPhone and a pumpkin latte and he is a certified “white girl.”  

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor