10 Things To Do in Boston this November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

While the weather is getting colder, that doesn’t mean you have to retreat for a winter of Netflix in bed just yet… there are still plenty of events and things to do in Boston this November!

1. Bruins Games

It’s hockey season again, and that means the Boston Bruins are back! Make sure to check out a game this November. There are cheap seats availabile if you do a little digging online. Whether you are a Bruins fan or not, hockey games are fast paced and always a blast. Just remember to wear your black and yellow!

2. Boat Cruise to George’s Island

On November 15th, there is a Veterans Cruise highlighting the military history of the Boston Harbor and stopping at George’s Island and Fort Warren. Admission is only $5 for the general public, and free for veterans. Take advantage of the last few beautiful days of fall and learn about the Harbor’s military history by taking a boat cruise to George’s Island. See this link for more information.

3. Veterans Day Parades

November 11th is Veterans day, and what better way to honor all our Veterans than to attend the Boston Veterans Day parade? It starts at 1pm at the corner of Boylston and Tremont street, as they make their way around the Boston Common and over to Faneuil Hall. Collegiettes, make sure to wear your red, white and blue!

4. Freedom Trail 5k

If you want to explore the Freedom Trail while getting exercise, check out the Freedom Trail Fun Run. This two hour run includes 16 stops at some of Boston’s famous historical sites. Instead of just flying past the historical sites, they stop and explore them too. You can register online and meet at the Boston Common on Sunday, November 2nd!

5. PostSecret Live

Remember when PostSecret was trending a few years back? Well it’s still around, and in Boston November 6th and 7th! Frank Warren, the creator of PostSecret, will be giving a multi-media and interactive presentation on how no one is truly alone with their secrets. PostSecret Live is at Boston University, and is open to the public for $20. If you have any big secrets weighing you down, this is the place to confess them.

6. Boston Comedy Festival

From November 7th-15th, Boston will be hosting a variety of comics and featuring a different show each night. Most of the acts are in Davis Square, so it’s a quick T ride outside the city, but a night full of laughter is worth the trip! You can buy tickets online and most show are around $20.

7. Cranksgiving

In its first year, Cranksgiving is both a bike ride and scavenger hunt! How it works is you ride around the city of Boston, stopping at grocery stores to search for specific food items. When you find the item, you purchase it and continue riding until you find all the items. The best part is all of the food is donated to the Boston Food Bank and the Somerville Homeless Coalition! Registration is at 1pm in Copley Square, and make sure you bring $15 to spend on food during the scavenger hunt. Check their Facebook event for more info.

8. Faneuil Hall Holiday Tree Lighting

On November 22nd, head down to Faneuil Hall and check out the annual holiday tree lighting ceremony! Featuring 350,000 LED lights, accompanied by recorded music from Boston Symphony Orchestra’s Holiday Pops, it’s more than just a simple tree lighting – it’s a whole performance. But make sure to get there early, because it gets very crowded!

9. Black Friday Shopping

In most places, Black Friday shopping means standing in line outside of Walmart at 4am. In Boston, Black Friday is a whole experience! There are plenty of shops all around the city, from the historic Macy’s in Downtown Crossing to the boutique shops on Newbury Street. Shopping around the city of Boston beats a stuffy suburban mall. Also, the whole city is decorated for the holidays, which will put you in a festive mood. Check out the Newbury Street Store and their Black Friday sales here.

10. Student Rush The Nutcracker

Tickets to the Boston Ballet’s Nutcracker can be pretty expensive, but if you’re a college student you’re in luck! Students can “student rush” the performances for only $20. Opening November 28th at the Boston Opera House, it’s the perfect way to kick off the holiday season!

Take advantage of these events and free time that you have now, because finals and winter will be here before you know it!

Caroline is sophomore at Emerson College, studying Media Production. Born and raised in New England she hopes to head out to the west coast after graduation. In her spare time she works on student TV and film productions. One day she hopes to work in the TV industry as a producer or showrunner. Currently her favorite shows are Shameless, Orange is the New Black and Veroncia Mars.
Emerson contributor