This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Tired of walking, driving, or taking public transportation in utter silence? Sick of feeling miserable or bored when stuck in traffic or suffering train delays? Have no fear—here are ten unique and catchy songs to listen to on your next commute! Whether it’s by train, car, bus, or foot, these songs will keep you energized for school, work, or wherever you may go.

“Sunflower” by Rex Orange County

She said I love you till the day that I die/Well, maybe she’s right/’Cause I don’t wanna feel like I’m not me/And to be honest I don’t even know why/I let myself get down in the first place

This song is perfect to start off your commute. The song starts off with a mellow beat and a distorted effect applied to Rex’s voice. About a minute into the song, Rex sings “I don’t wanna see you cry” before catchy drum beats kick in and the addictive chorus with excited horns. If you want your morning to start off slow, “Sunflower” is perfect for you to ease into your daily commute. You’ll also find yourself walking to the beat of the song (at least I did).

“Golden” by Harry Styles

I’m hopeless, broken, so you wait for me in the sky/Brown my skin just right/You’re so golden

I’m gonna be honest, I never really listened to Harry Styles before stumbling upon Fine Line a couple of weeks ago because it was getting so much hype. I think “Golden” is an amazing and catchy song to listen to for the morning commute, regardless if you are a Harry Styles fan or not (although I guarantee you will be after listening to the rest of Fine Line). Aside from the morning commute, this is the song to play while you are driving to the beach on a hot summer day. Add this song to your playlist for happy, positive vibes on your way to work or school.

“Green Light” by Lorde

But I hear sounds in my mind/Brand new sounds in my mind/But honey I’ll be seein’ you wherever I go/But honey I’ll be seein’ you down every road/I’m waiting for it, that green light, I want it

Despite the fact that this is a literal definition of a morning commute song based on the title alone, this is a song that can be listened to both on your feet or off. Prior to the release of this song, Lorde mentioned to her Twitter followers that this would be different and unexpected than her previous songs that played on the radio. With multiple emotions weaved throughout the lyrics and an upbeat tempo for most of the song, “Green Light” is a must-add to your commute playlist.

“burning gold” by Christina Perri

I’m setting fire to the life that I know/Let’s start a fire everywhere that we go/We’re starting fires we’re starting fires/Until our lives are burning gold

You’ve probably heard of Christina Perri’s other two songs, “A Thousand Years” and “Jar of Hearts,” which are two beautiful and emotional ballads to listen to on a rainy day. I suggest you take a listen to her sophomore album titled Head or Heart, which was released in 2014. The second song on the album, “burning gold,” consists mainly of piano with a small ukulele accompaniment. The song starts off soft then gradually becomes upbeat with the addition of drums and multiple percussion instruments, therefore this is an amazing song to start off your morning.

“Your Love” by Saskwatch

Oh, well I tried to find a way/To free myself from pain/But you were there, you came along/And showed me how to love again

I first stumbled upon this song out of curiosity when searching for a retro pop playlist on Spotify, and Saskwatch has slowly become one of my favorite artists. Saskwatch is such an underrated band and they need to be recognized more! If you’re into retro, 50’s style music, then you should definitely check out their music, and I think “Your Love” is a perfect introduction to their rockabilly, swing-style. With blaring horns, an addictive melody, and smooth guitar riffs, “Your Love” will definitely add a swing into your step during your morning commute.

“King of Anything” by Sara Bareilles

Who cares if you disagree? You are not me/Who made you king of anything?/So you dare tell me who to be/Who died and made you king of anything?

If you are feeling particularly sad or unmotivated on your way to school or work, I guarantee you this song will lift your spirits right up. If you are familiar with Sara Bareilles’ hit single “Love Song” and its unapologetic, tongue-in-cheek message, “King of Anything” pretty much gives off the same vibe. With a catchy piano melody and syncopated hand claps throughout the chorus, “King of Anything” will surely make you feel empowered and unafraid of what may stand in your way during your journey to work or school.

“Share Your Address” by Ben Platt

I wanna be your emergency contact/You can put me down/’Cause you know I know you best (I know you best)/It doesn’t matter where I go/Without you, I’ll never be home/I wanna share your address

If you are familiar with Ben Platt’s music, particularly his album titled Sing to Me Instead, you might think that the vibes his songs give off are prime “sad boi hours.” While that may be true, you’ll find yourself dancing to “Share Your Address,” which I think is the most upbeat song on the album. When reading the lyrics of this song, I imagine that this is what love at first sight feels like, and the joy, elation, and bubbliness that this song gives off is just what you need for good vibes going to work or school.

“No Drug Like Me” by Carly Rae Jepsen

And if you make me feel in love, then I’ll blossom for you/If you make me open up, I’ll tell only the truth/When your mouth is running dry/Your head high, hold on, baby/You ain’t tried no drug like me

This was probably the first song I’ve heard from Carly Rae Jepsen ever since the “Call Me Maybe” era, and honestly, this song and the rest of her album Dedicated SLAPS! With snaps in the pre-chorus and a catchy melody throughout the chorus, you’ll find yourself singing along as you commute to wherever you are going. The happy, lovey-dovey vibes that this song has serves a reason you should add “No Drug Like Me” to your morning commute playlist ASAP.

“Disco Yes (feat. Poppy Ajudha)” by Tom Misch

As the pressure builds/So does the tension between you and me/Time has gone so fast/Watching the leaves fall from our tree/Baby, I just want you to know/I still love you

If perfect weather and happy vibes could be a song, it would be “Disco Yes” hands down. I haven’t heard of Tom Misch before hearing this song from a friend, and this song alone makes me want to explore more of his music. This song gives off a 70s-80s funky disco vibe, and it’s the perfect song if you want to get in a good mood straight out of bed. Although most of the song is instrumental, the guitar melody never gets tiring, and you won’t regret putting this song on your playlist.

“Philadelphia Freedom” by Elton John

‘Cause I live and breathe this Philadelphia freedom/From the day that I was born, I’ve waved the flag/Philadelphia freedom took me knee—high to a man, yeah/Gave me peace of mind my daddy never had

This song is an oldy but a goody, and the literal embodiment of a mood-booster. From start to finish, “Philadelphia Freedom” never has a dull moment. John composed this song with Bernie Taupin to pay tribute to his friend, Billie Jean King, who was part of the Philadelphia Freedoms professional tennis team. The song consists of an orchestral arrangement that includes horns, strings, tambourines, and maracas, making this song an integral part of your commute to work or school.

Marieska Luzada is a sophomore at Emerson College at Boston, MA majoring in journalism and minoring in publishing. Besides writing for HerCampus, you can find her drafting an a capella arrangement, drinking an iced matcha latte, reading a young adult contemporary, or listening to Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks.
Emerson contributor