This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Mahalia

Mahalia is a Jamaican-British soul/hip-hop musician based in the U.K. Her music takes you through her journey of relationships and self-love. She is also no stranger to music, being signed to a label since she was 13 years old.

KWAYE

KWAYE is a British-Zimbabwean artist who got his big break from playing one of his singles to his Uber driver, who happened to be an ex-music executive. Long story short, he was signed not too long after. He now blesses ears everywhere with his neo-soul music.

Audrey Nuna

From R&B to rap to pop music, Audrey Nuna, a Korean-American artist, can do it all. Nuna had to convince her parents to drop out of NYU to pursue a career in music and we’re glad she did!

Samm Henshaw

Samm Henshaw, born to Nigerian parents, needs no introduction, as he has worked with Chance The Rapper, Pharrell, James Bay, and many more. His gospel and soul inspired music can make anyone stop in their tracks.

Kiana Ledé

Kiana Ledé, an Afro-Latina artist is known for her hit song “EX” where she describes the heartbreak of losing someone she’s still in love with. But with other songs like “Forfeit” and “Cancelled,” Ledé isn’t going anywhere.

Bren Joy

Bren Joy is a Black musician who credits gospel music for his sound. You can sit back and relax while listening to his album Twenties, where pop, R&B, and soul all intertwine. Did you know he also plays the keys?

Reece

Reece is a Latino artist who can make anyone sway to the sounds of his pop beats and soft voice. You may have also seen the Virginia native opening for FINNEAS last year. 

Kaiit

Born in Papua New Guinea and raised in Melbourne, Australia, Kaiit has brought smiles to many with her Neo-soul music. Her music videos are also always a captivating watch. She cites Amy Whinehouse and Lauryn Hill as inspirations.

UMI

If you ever need to unwind and destress UMI is the artist to listen to. UMI intertwines both her Black and Japanese identities into her music video “Sukidakara.” With R&B beats and Japanese lyrics, this song makes for an amazing listen. 

CHIKA

There are not enough good things I can say about CHIKA. The Nigerian-American rapper has left her fanbase with their mouths agape. Chika has used her platform to rap about black acceptance and gay visibility. You can also see her in Netflix’s Project Power.

Luna Theus

Emerson '22

Luna is a Junior majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and sociology at Emerson College. On her freetime you can spot her asking about your Myers-Briggs Type or relistening to Hamilton for the 100th time.
Emerson contributor