10 Galentine’s Day Movies to Watch with Your Friends–That Aren’t Rom-Coms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve never been the type to watch rom-coms with my friends or otherwise. Give me movies about strong women or the power of female friendship without all the rom-com blah on Galentine’s Day. I don’t need to be reminded that I’m single or endure anymore cheesy storylines, especially not on a day where I’m trying to be comfortable flying solo. So, I’ve put together a list of ten movies for you and your friends to watch this Galentine’s Day if, like me, you’re tired of the same old rom-com.  female friendship without all the rom-com blah on Galentine’s Day. I don’t need to be reminded that I’m single or endure anymore cheesy storylines, especially not on a day where I’m trying to be comfortable flying solo. So, I’ve put together a list of ten movies for you and your friends to watch this Galentine’s Day if, like me, you’re tired of the same old rom-com. 

Disney plus on tv on stand showing disney plus
Photo by Marques Kaspbrak from Unsplash

Little Women (2019) 

As a big fan growing up of Louisa May Alcott’s classic Little Women novel, Greta Gerwig creates an incredible, unique adaptation about sisterly love, family, and growing up. She begins with the protagonist, Jo March as an adult living in the city, instead of moving chronologically through her childhood like so many of the adaptations before, setting up a contrast between Jo’s past and present. She embeds viewers in the nostalgia that Jo feels for her childhood with her sisters and her best friend, Laurie. Her depiction of Amy is another bright note, as she creates in her a more sympathetic, mature version with real goals and ambitions. Her portrayal of family life is genuine and real, as the girls talk over one another, laughing and fighting and crying like sisters do. This movie is one that you won’t want to miss, and one of the best Little Women adaptations to date. 

Hidden Figures (2016)

Based on a true story, Hidden Figures is a movie chronicling three brilliant Black women’s stories of working at NASA and dealing with racism, segregation, and sexism in the early ‘60s. Katherine Johnson, Mary Jackson, and Dorothy Vaughan are all extremely good at mathematics, and are hired to help launch John Glenn into orbit but faced with much opposition along the way. They refuse to back down, proving themselves to be more than capable and intelligent, with strong resilience and determination. Hidden Figures is an uplifting, inspiring story about friendship and perseverance, perfect for a girl’s night in. 

Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

Birds of Prey is DC’s girl power, superhero movie with an all-female squad and plenty of action scenes to boot. Harley Quinn has just broken up with the Joker, meaning she’s fair game for anyone looking to get revenge on her. She teams up with the Huntress, Black Canary, and Renee Montoya–a group of deadly, violent women–to protect herself when she angers the wrong guy (and every other thug in the city). It’s a refreshing take on the superhero genre, but not one to be taken too seriously, so just have fun with it. 

Tomb Raider (2018)

Tomb Raider is based on the Lara Croft video games, and stars Alicia Vikander as the independent, headstrong daughter of Lord Richard Croft, an adventurer who goes missing. She is determined to go find him, braving the jungle, waterfalls, booby traps, and more to find out where he went. Featuring riddles, trickery, and greedy organizations looking to obtain powers for themselves, Lara has to use everything she’s got to get her dad back. With awe-inspiring action scenes, strong family ties, and a capable, unobjectified heroine (coming from a game where she was continually objectified!), Tomb Raider is a movie for those who want their heart racing and a fierce lead actress. 

Lady Bird (2017)

Lady Bird is another movie on this list written and directed by Greta Gerwig, but its complicated and nuanced portrayal of mother-daughter relationships and teenage friendships is realistic and heartbreaking. It follows Christine (aka Lady Bird) and her life in Sacramento, California, where she goes to Catholic school, dates for the first time, and her difficult relationship with her family. Her relationship with her mother takes precedence, and is the main focal point of the movie, as both are stubborn women who find it hard to get along with each other. That’s not to discount Lady Bird’s friendship with her best friend Julie, which is also an important aspect of the story, as Lady Bird’s loyalty grapples with her desire for popularity. Lady Bird is a story about familial love and the difficulties of growing up, especially in a town that you can’t wait to get out of. 

Booksmart (2019)

Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever star in Booksmart, a movie about two girls who realize in their senior year that by studying so much in high school, they’ve missed out on some quintessential teenage experiences. What follows is a raucous and hilarious night that sees them trying to make up for lost time, doing a high school bucket-list’s worth of partying, flirting, and debauchery before the night ends. It’s a hilarious and entertaining buddy comedy, coming-of-age movie about those kinds of friends who will do anything for you. 

Ocean’s 8 (2018)

Ocean’s 8 is a female-forward, high stakes heist movie following Debbie Ocean who is putting together a team of sly, smooth-talking women who are ready to make it big. It’s an odd group consisting of Ocean’s partner-in-crime, Lou Miller; jeweler Amita; street thief Constance; suburban mom, Tammy; hacker Nine Ball; and fashion designer, Rose. Their plan? Steal a necklace worth more than $150 million off the neck of the woman wearing it. Filled to the brim with excitement, teamwork, and celebrity cameos, Ocean’s 8 is an entertaining, casual watch. 

Wonder Woman (2017) 

Wonder Woman, starring Gal Gadot, is one of the very few female-led superhero movies. follows the now-iconic, eponymous superhero’s life from childhood to adulthood. Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, training as an Amazon warrior and raised on a mythical island, Themyscira, with no knowledge of the outside world. One day, an American pilot, Steve Trevor, crashes onto the island and tells Diana of the war going on outside of Themyscira. She is determined to fight alongside Trevor, and in doing so, discovers her true potential and eventual destiny as Wonder Woman.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) 

Mad Max: Fury Road is a post-apocalyptic action movie set after civilization has fallen apart. The tyrant, Immortan Joe enslaves what survivors are left in his fortress, the Citadel. In comes Imperator Furiosa, a female lieutenant who plans on escaping with Joe’s five wives and along the way forms a partnership with Max Rockatansky, a former slave of Joe’s. With car chases in souped-up armored trucks, badass women, and crazy escapades, Mad Max: Fury Road is one for action-lovers. 

Captain Marvel (2019)

Captain Marvel is the first female-led superhero movie by Marvel in which Vers (aka Carol Danvers) begins to remember her life on Earth while on Hala, the Kree empire’s capital planet. She has known the Kree for much of her remembered life, and is now ready to fight in an intergalactic war for them against the Skrulls. However, her memories keep nagging at her, and with the help of S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Nick Fury, she tries to figure out who she was. She must come to terms with her life before, as US Air Force pilot, Carol Danvers and begin to harness her superpowers in the war against the Skrulls. Captain Marvel features a powerful female lead, incredible superpowers, and fight scenes of epic proportions.

Hannah is a Chinese-American sophomore Publishing student at Emerson College. She loves to read science-fiction and fantasy novels, listen to music, and hang out with her friends. She is a Christian and heavily involved on campus organizations outside of HerCampus, with orgs like ASIA, Anime@Emerson, and Concrete Literary Magazine.
Emerson contributor