This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’re anything like me, this time of year has you venturing out to your local H&M, Primark, and favorite online stores because your closet seems to be turning up empty. This time of year can also be super overwhelming, and it can be a challenge to decide what pieces to buy and which to pass on. So I’ve compiled a list of my top 10 favorite wardrobe must-haves for the fall season.  A lot of these pieces aren’t seasonally specific, so making the jump and purchasing is less daunting because you’ll find yourself reaching for them come winter, spring, and summer!

1.) Black Suede Boots

These are honestly a wardrobe staple year-round for me. But when the leaves get all crunchy and you need to throw on something that goes with tights, jeans (light and dark wash), or professional wear, look no further than the perfect pair of black suede booties! I swear by them. These are pretty much available everywhere, but the ones that I’m currently wearing are from Old Navy.  And at $30, (when on sale!) they’re such a steal!

Styling Tip: Spray your boots with water/stain protectant spray! You’ll find yourself caught in the rain more often than not in the fall, so make sure you protect the soft fabric!

2.) Loafers

Again, a year round staple for me, but there’s something about autumn that compels me to reach for them more frequently. I love styling my loafers with light wash high-waisted jeans for a classic look. They’re both comfortable,  stylish, and while make the whole get-up look effortless. All loafers are good loafers, but right now, I’m wearing a pair from ModCloth. Be sure to sign up for a student discount code and save 15 percent at checkout!

3.) Classic Jacket

I love deconstructed blazers for fall. There’s something really lovely about feeling professional while being comfy at the same time. Also, styling up and down is super easy! I’ll grab my jacket on days that I have my internship to look professional in the office but not too dressed up for class. It’s the perfect in-between. These are available almost everywhere now, but I’ve always bought my blazers from H&M because they’re relatively inexpensive and always super soft! Plus they have pockets…

4.) Newsboy Cap

For days when it’s ferociously windy and you don’t want to completely ruin your hair with a pom-pom hat, this is the perfect accessory! These hats are insanely photogenic and simultaneously super approachable. While I’m attracted to neutral colors like black and brown, there are some really– fun ones with bright colors and interesting designs– that can be found at stores such as Primark and H&M. This particular one is from Nordstrom Rack. For extra warmth, it’s also made of wool! Perfect for those chilly New England days.

5.) High-Waisted Jeans

I’ve been loving this trend for summer, but I’m excited to see it carry into fall as well! Pair some comfy high-waisted cropped jeans with a graphic tee (perhaps a classic jack-o-lantern one?) and polish it off with a cardigan or deconstructed blazer. There are tons of great options out there for every body type, but I’ve been loving a pair from Target’s “Wild Fable” line. American Eagle is also a classic option for comfortable denim.

6.) A Striped Sweater (With character!)

I love a good sweater, especially during this time of year! There are great options for every budget, which makes them even better! You can dress them up or down and be cozy in the process. If you’re like me and you like to have solid bottoms like black or blue jeans, I recommend picking patterned sweaters with different designs and styles to jazz it up. This is one I’ve been lusting after at ModCloth!

7.) Cowl Neck Sweater

Cowl necks are my favorite alternative to the classic turtleneck. If like me, you’re not a huge fan of feeling slightly choked all day, cowl necks are perfect for you. Cowl necks also have the upside of being so chunky and warm that it almost feels like you’re wrapping yourself up in a blanket. Plus, when you throw on an extra layer to head out, the cowl neck often doubles as a scarf, too. I’m in love with one I got a few years ago from Target, but this dub from H&M is pretty spot-on cozy!

8.) Chunky Knit Scarf

This is a MUST if you live anywhere that gets chilly and windy. I love throwing a chunky knit scarf over an outfit I didn’t put too much effort in to make it seem cozier and more put-together. There’s not much more to say about it besides be sure you pick a soft one!

(Tip: You can totally use oversized knit scarves as blankets if a class is particularly drafty…)

9.) Cute Tights

If you’re like me and still love to rock some skirts in the colder months, tights are an absolute essential. And what better way to be both warm and stylish than with a pair of quirky tights? This is a pretty big trend right now, so it’s easy to find nontraditional options to classic tights in almost every store. My personal favorite place to look for tights is Modcloth because I know that 1) They’re quality and won’t run and 2) They’re size inclusive and realistic when it comes to the cut. Another great benefit of wearing tights? They suck you in if you’re looking for a little extra shape! Check out this pair from Modcloth.  

10.) Unique jewelry pieces

Now let’s be real here, we’re college students, which obviously means that funds are always a bit tight. While buying lasting, quality pieces can be tempting, it’s often difficult to drop $200 on a pair of jeans or $50 on one shirt. A great solution to this is to play up inexpensive clothing with unique pieces of jewelry! There are tons of options when it comes to finding unique jewelry that speaks to your personality. Check out flea markets and resale shops for true one-of-a-kind finds. Or, for a more convenient option, check out Etsy or Modcloth for necklaces, rings, and bracelets.

Brooke Dunn

Emerson '20

Born in Chicago, IL but raised in St. Louis, MO, Brooke is currently a student at Emerson’s college in Boston, MA. At Emerson, she's pursuing a degree in Writing, Literature, and Publishing with a concentration in Digital Publishing. Her hobbies include reading, traveling, and writing!
Emerson contributor