This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As a chicken lover, nothing pisses me off more than seeing that the only chicken foods that are given importance are fried chicken, chicken nuggets and chicken wings. Not only is this a very Westernized and American list, it is also very small and inconvenient because, you know, it’s only three foods. But fear not my fellow chicken gorgers, for I have compiled a list of chicken dishes and foods from all over the world that you can eat the next time you’ve had one too many nuggets from McDonalds.

1. Tandoori Chicken

Think of juicy chicken thighs marinated in aromatic spices such as cardamom, paprika and turmeric, grilled in a tandoor or a clay oven until it is charred in just the right places. Tandoori chicken can be found in most Indian restaurants.

2. Dapanji

Originating from the Xinjiang Province, Dapanji is a chicken stew with noodles, made “with cumin, tomato and all that fun stuff,” says Emerson student Yvonne Yiayo Xiao. This delicious dish can be found in Hot Eastern, a restaurant in Chinatown, but the best Dapanji in Boston has to be the one served at Chef Changs near Berklee.

3. Mojo Chicken

Fellow Emersonian Madison Gallup says her “favorite form of the dish is actually [her] mom’s recipe for it.” Mojo chicken is essentially baked chicken coated in breadcrumbs and Mojo Marinade. Although Madison cannot point out a restaurant in Boston that serves the dish, she reckons that it can be found in most Spanish and Latin restaurants.

4. Chicken Biryani

A rice based dish, Biryani is chicken marinated in a variety of spices layered alternatively with fragrant rice. If you like nuts, a lot of versions of the dish also have cashews and other such nuts. Biryani is one of my favorite dishes, second only to shawarma. Paradise restaurant in Norwood has the best biryani I’ve eaten in the Greater Boston area, but if you’re not up for a trek, most Indian restaurants in the city have the dish on their menu.

5. Chicken Wiener Schnitzel

An Austrian special, the chicken wiener schnitzel is an “easy and hearty meal served with cranberry relish,” says Mana Parker, a student at Emerson. Mana suggest a strong, Austrian beer to go with the schnitzel to enjoy its distinctive taste even more.

6. Andhra Chicken Curry

A traditional Indian curry made with spices, yogurt and country chicken, andhra chicken curry comes from the state of Andhra Pradesh in India. It is a traditionally South Indian dish usually shadowed by its North Indian counterparts such as butter chicken and chicken tikka masala, but give the masala and country chicken a try; I promise you won’t regret it.

7. Laziji

“Mini chicken nuggets, but super spicy” is how Yvonne describes Laziji. The flavorful dish is a Sichuan Chinese dish, made with chili bean paste and Sichuan peppers. The New Shanghai Restaurant does a decent job with laziji, Yvonne says.

8. Balsamic Chicken

Chicken drumsticks marinated in balsamic vinaigrette, herbs and spice baked in an oven for a little over an hour, balsamic chicken is a family recipe that Camille Speer’s mom made. “The moist chicken melts in your mouth and the sauce is sweet. It’s one of the most flavorful dishes you will ever eat,” says Camille, an Emerson student.

9. Chicken 65

An Indo-Chinese fast food, originally chicken 65 was boneless meat marinated in 65 different spices, and served deep fried. Interestingly, the original maker never copyrighted the recipe, so there are various versions of the dish available, changing drastically from chef to chef. One thing is for sure: One bite of chicken 65 is an explosion of flavors in your mouth.

10. Chicken Shawarma

Shawarma is my favorite food of all time. I can eat it for the rest of my life. Originally a Middle Eastern food, Shawarma is chicken, spices and vegetables rolled in a roti.

Emerson contributor