This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

1.) When Harry Met Sally

Why? This Rob Schneider masterpiece is called a classic for a reason!! A healthy dose of Meg Ryan’s perfectly 80s fall outfits and daydreaming about walking through autumnal New York City with a soulmate as perfect for you as Harry was for Sally will keep you all warm and fuzzy as it gets colder outside.

Fall O’Meter: 5/5 oversized knitted sweaters.

Favorite Quote: Harry: “I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night.”

2.) Fantastic Mr. Fox

Why? Between the feasting, the family, and the friends, this movie will have you counting down the seconds until you get to go back home for Thanksgiving break. Plus, Wes Anderson’s picture perfect autumnal color palette is also guaranteed to spur a “scouring the internet for anything burnt orange and under $15” phase for at least a couple of days — and that’s how you REALLY know it’s fall.  

Fall O’Meter: 5/5 mugs of warm apple cider.

Favorite Quote: Kristofferson: (angrily throws acorn on floor; it bounces into the bowl he’s holding) “Excuse me, everyone, I’m going to go meditate for half an hour.”

3.) Good Will Hunting

Why? Watching this is the perfect way to experience Boston in the fall, without even having to leave your room! Also, young Matt Damon — ‘nuff said.

Fall O’Meter: 4/5 likable apples.

Favorite Quote: Sean: “You’re not perfect, sport, and let me save you the suspense: this girl you’ve met, she’s not perfect either. But the question is whether or not you’re perfect for each other.”

4.) Halloweentown

Why? Fall = Halloween and Halloweentown = the most iconic Halloween Disney Channel Original Movie that has ever, and will ever, be made — it’s just basic math.

Fall O’Meter: 5/5 skeleton taxi drivers

Favorite Quote: Marnie: “Halloween is cool.”

5.) Hocus Pocus

Why? Iconic costumes, Iconic actresses, an Iconic director, and an Iconic soundtrack all come together to form one indisputably perfect Halloween movie. I mean, what more could you ask for?

Fall O’Meter: 6/5 spells on you

Favorite Quote: (Go to hell!) Winifred:“ Oh, I’ve been there, thank you.  I found it quite lovely.”

6.) You’ve Got Mail

Why? Let yourself be transported back in time to a world in which internet relationships were an original and kinda ~risky~ movie premise. Between all of the cozy bookstore scenes, coffee shop dates, excessive amounts of fairy lights and earth toned sweaters, and that classic “NYC in the fall” backdrop, you’ll be looking up Greyhound ticket prices while sipping on a nice hot chocolate in no time.

Fall O’Meter: 5/5 lit spiced apple candles on a rainy day.

Favorite Quote: Joe Fox: “Don’t you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms.”

7.) Election

Why? Nothing says fall like a good ol’ back to school flick. And at the same time, nothing says fall like some good election drama (register to vote!). Even though it may seem like we have election drama to spare (register to vote!), it’s still good to zone out sometimes and focus on some fake — and undeniably hilarious —  high school politics. Oh and before I forget to mention it, definitely register to vote.

Fall O’Meter: 3/5 earth-toned sweater vests.

Favorite Quote: Tammy Metzler: “Being suspended is like getting a paid vacation. Why do they think it’s a punishment? It’s like your dog pees on the carpet and you give him a treat.”

8.) Juno

Why? Juno is a big ol’ combo of those back to school feels, the burnt orange, burgundy, and gold fall color scheme, feel-good family moments, and insanely quotable quippy one liners that make every fall movie a ~fall~ movie. This one just does it better.

Fall O’Meter: 4/5 especially gold shorts.

Favorite Quote: Rollo: “That ain’t no Etch A Sketch. This is one doodle that can’t be undid, Homeskillet.”

9.) The Blind Side

Why? Fall is football season! Now, I know Emerson isn’t super big on sports, but we are super big on movies, and this is a heartwarming classic that everyone can enjoy — just make sure you have tissues on hand and your mom’s number on speed dial.

Fall O’Meter: 4/5 pure family wholesomeness

Favorite Quote: Sean Tuohy: “Who would’ve thought we’d have a black son before we met a Democrat?”

10.) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Why? Any Harry Potter movie can be a “fall movie” because they’re all about 1. Witches and wizards 2. Going back to school 3. Hanging out with ghosts 4. Going to haunted forests for… the meme I guess? And 5.  Name dropping ‘pumpkin juice’. I put this one on the list because there is a nice pumpkin patch in Hagrid’s back yard and I like to use that as an excuse to watch this for the millionth time.

Fall O’Meter: 3/5 warm butterbeers.

Favorite Quote: Albus Dumbledore: “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Hanna is a Film student at Emerson College. Her hobbies include getting really into "put-together human" things (e.g. bullet journaling) for a day, then giving up because it's too much work, watching unhealthy amounts of movies and judging them harshly because going to film school gives her a major superiority complex, and talking about Kenny Ortega until she passes out.
Emerson contributor