Me styling outfits in town.
Me styling outfits in town.
Photo by Ashley Soderberg
Style

Your Step-by-Step Guide to Wearing a Leather Jacket

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Leather jackets are a huge staple piece that should be in everyone’s closets this year. A leather jacket is a perfect piece that you can dress up or dress down, to complete your look. You may be asking yourself, “Where do I buy myself a leather jacket?” Some of my favorite places to purchase leather jackets are Zara, Revolve, and Princess Polly. Below are some ways that I style leather jackets and hopefully it will inspire you to go out and try some of these looks for yourself!

Denim and Leather

Me styling outfits in town.
Photo by Ashley Soderberg

Me styling outfits in town.
Photo by Ashley Soderberg

Pairing a leather jacket with a pair of blue denim jeans and a simple tank are one of my favorite go-to outfits to wear. It’s comfy and cute while also looking put together at the same time. You can either dress the outfit down for the daytime by wearing it with a pair of platform sneakers, or you can make it more of a night time look by switching your shoes to chunky black boots, such as stylish Doc Martens. A style icon that has mastered this look is Hailey Beiber. She is always spotted by paparazzi wearing a leather jacket with some blue jeans and chunky sneakers.

Dresses and Leather

Me styling outfits in town.
Photo by Ashley Soderberg
Me styling outfits in town.
Photo by Ashley Soderberg
Me styling outfits in town
Photo by Ashley Soderberg

If you are looking to dress up your leather jacket, pair it with a dress! I love the combination of a girly look, but then adding a leather jacket to make it look more edgy. Layering gold jewelry with the dress will always spice up the look. Some of my favorite types of dresses to pair with a leather jacket are a simple bodycon dress or a patterned slip dress. Most of these types of dresses could be found from Princess Polly or Nasty Gal. The rust color bodycon dress I’m wearing in the photo is from Zara.

Joggers and Leather

Me styling outfits in town
Photo by Ashley Soderberg
Me styling outfits in town.
Photo by Ashley Soderberg

A big fashion tip that I learned is that comfort is key! You can still look stylish while also being comfortable. Joggers are my go-to pants to wear on the daily. I have tried multiple different outfit combinations with joggers, and you guessed it…a leather jacket can work with these too! Some of my favorite combinations are wearing joggers, an oversized hoodie, high top sneakers, and a leather jacket on top. Some of my favorite stores to purchase joggers from are Brandy Melville, Zara, and Target. You can dress this outfit up even more by pairing it with stylish sunglasses and a little purse.

Leather jackets are a closet essential. Pairing a leather jacket with your look can finalize your outfit and make it look more stylish, even if all you did was just throw on a jacket! Show us how you style your leather jacket by taking a picture and tagging @hercampuselon on Instagram!

Isabella Downs is a sophomore at Elon University and is a double major in Communication Design and Media Analytics. She has a passion for all things fashion and beauty.