Why Fall is the Best Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As summer comes to an end and we return to school, getting back into our routine, most of us are anxiously waiting for fall to finally come around. Fall is cozy and welcoming, like a big hug, open to embrace a fresh start. As the trees begin to shed their leaves, one can’t help but think of starting the school year with a clean slate. Fall represents a new beginning, encouraging people to step into the semester with a new attitude and ambition. As fall quickly approaches, my mind is overwhelmed with all of the reasons why fall is the best season; here are some of them.

The Clothing:

Fall is ideal because the weather is brisk, but not unbearably cold like a winter day in the northeast. There is nothing better than throwing on your favorite pair of jeans and coziest sweater in the morning. Hearing the leaves crunch under the soles of a new pair of suede boots is like music to my ears. Fall clothing is not only undeniably cute, but it is also the comfiest: flannels, vests, cardigans, oversized sweaters. If I could wear my Patagonia all year round- I would. 

The Food and Drinks:

Fall is just the right time to make the switch from iced to hot coffee. As the temperature begins to drop, hot drinks come back into play. Pumpkin spice lattes, hot chocolate, cappuccinos, or just a regular, piping hot cup of joe are the perfect comfort drinks to grab for the chilly walk to class. 

The go-to fall foods can also be warm and comforting. Soup is the ideal food to have when the weather begins to get colder. Taking a quick break in between classes to grab soup from Freshii or Acorn makes my day just that much better. 

The Activities:

Apple and pumpkin picking may be my favorite thing to do in the fall. Thinking about the warm apple cider and doughnuts at the apple orchard gives me butterflies. It’s the perfect time to get together with family/friends and participate in the perfect seasonal activity. 

Pumpkin carving around Halloween is another fun activity to celebrate the season. Oh… and HALLOWEEN itself. Halloween is my favorite holiday by far, and really should be everyone’s in my opinion. Dressing up as whatever you want and eating tons of candy are two things that should get everyone excited. Don’t even get me started on Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown…movie night anyone?

Bonfires on bonfires on bonfires. Getting a group together to sit around a fire and make s’mores is my kind of perfect night. The warmth from the fire is the coziest of feelings, so grab your favorite flannel and don’t forget the jumbo marshmallows.  

With so many innocently fun seasonal activities to choose from, fall is a season that makes people feel like a little kid again while fostering a blissful kind of happiness. 

Fall isn’t just a season…it’s a feeling. Fall is lighting a pumpkin-scented candle at the end of a long day. It is going for a walk bundled up with a sweater and gloves. It is lighting the fireplace as you’re curled up on the couch with a knit blanket. It is anything and everything that is cozy and comforting, which is why it should be fall 365 days of the year.