yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

White After Labor Day: How to Pull It Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As we transition into the season of pumpkin spice lattes, riding boots, and vests, it can be hard to let go of our beloved summer whites. But fear not! This season, stars like Gwenyth Paltrow and Taylor Swift are proving that fashion’s oldest rule should be broken. Here’s how to successfully break the ultimate fashion faux pas: White after Labor Day.

First and Foremost: Redefine ‘White’

Wearing white in the fall can be risky business. To be extra conscious, broaden what you consider ‘white’. In fall, opals, ivories, and creams are considered whites. So, before you break out your eggshell maxi-dress, keep the following rules in mind.

Focus on the Fabric

As the days get cooler, lightweight fabrics become impractical. Instead of sporting chiffon and lace, wear thicker fabrics. Dress with a warm-and-cozy mindset, not a light-and-free one. Wool, cashmere, and flannels are perfect!

Follow the Light & Dark Rule

Yes, an all-white outfit is glamorous against sun kissed skin. But as the season rolls on, and our tans begin to fade, an all-white outfit will not have such pleasing effects. At this point, too much white will wash out your look. So, keep balance in your outfits. If you’re sporting a white piece, throw on a dark piece too.

Bundle Up

White hats, mittens, scarves, and coats are classic pieces. I mean, how fabulous did Anne Hathaway’s white coat look in The Devil Wears Prada? A heavy coat isn’t meant for summer, so rock it! Remember, fabric is crucial!

Wear It Proudly!

Only recently have stars begun to override this ‘glamour don’t’; so breaking out those white pieces may seem a bit daunting! But remember, confidence is rarely questioned. So, be a trendsetter, and wear your whites proudly. After all, you know the rules!

So, let’s recap. Before pulling out your white sundresses and tank tops, remember to keep the following rules in mind. First, broaden your scope of ‘white’. Consider eggshells, beiges, and creams as whites, and follow the appropriate rules while wearing them. Next, sport heavier fabrics. This includes jackets, scarves, and mittens! Third, to avoid a white wash out, make sure your look balances lights and darks. And lastly, wear your white with confidence!