What To Wear to a Fraternity Banquet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

I hate being the girl who packs too much. Ever stand in your closet and come up with reasons that justify why you might need something even if you haven’t worn it in months? That’s always me and as a result my bag is usually twice as big as any of my guy friend’s bags, even just for a quick weekend away.

The past three years packing for fraternity banquets has been no different. Every year, I come strolling out of my apartment with an assortment of food bags, a frat cooler and beach necessities, followed by my massive duffle back. Let me define massive: a bag so overflowing and overstuffed that it looks like I am permanently leaving campus, therefore illiciting an “you’re kidding right” eye-role from my date. I can attest though that each year my bag gets a little bit smaller, but my mentality hasn’t changed: whether you are going with your boyfriend, crush or best friend, a banquet weekend is the ideal time to showcase your summer outfits. 

Not sure what to pack? Here are four must-have looks for banquet:

The Drive Down: Four and a half hours in an over-packed car can be brutal. My solution? A non-restricting, comfortable look.

• Rompers: Cotton rompers are perfect for long car rides. They not only feel like pajamas, but they also don’t look like it. Slip one over your favorite bathing suit and select summery prints and patterns. It’s easy to be prepared and chic in a playsuit.
  • Loose dresses: Imagine beach cover-ups and easy slip-ons. Choose floral prints and bright colors for a more summery look. Tired of the same old, spaghetti strapped baby doll cut dress? Switch it up with a backless or tiered dress.
  • Sandals: Pick styles and colors that can go with other items you packed.

(Collage looks: Sunflower romper from HelloMollyFashion, Sandals from Steve Madden, Floral Backless bar dress from Lulu’s)

Dinner Attire: Thursday and Friday night dinners are usually more casual than the banquet dinner. Dining at a steak house or hibachi restaurant followed by an evening of bar hoping is stereotypical for the first two nights.

• Dress: Think slightly nicer than your cotton beach toss-ons, but not as formal as your banquet dress. Selecting silhouettes with fuller skirts and tighter bodices will give you more of a nighttime look compared to looser daytime frocks.
  • Crop top and high waisted skirt: This look is perfect for going from a nice dinner to the bar. Stick to skirts that have a loser, bell-shapes and crop tops that are no more than an inch above the skirt. Keep it casual and flirty with floral or striped prints.
  • Cross-body bag: When you aren’t sure what to expect of your night, a cross-body bag is vital. Throw your ID, credit card, lipstick, phone and camera in there and you’re ready for anything. This season, aim for bags with fun quotes and vibrant colors.

(Collage looks: Red and white polka dot dress from Lulu’s, Crop top and skirt from Tobi, Cross body bag from Zara)

Daytime Attire: Easy and comfort are the most important qualities for your day looks. With so many people in and out of your hotel room, pack tops and bottoms for the day that are easy to mix, match and throw on.

• High waisted denim shorts: These are a staple. Denim shorts are versatile with an assortment of tops and bathing suits.
  • Crop-tops: Floral, tribal, neon, graphic: you can’t go wrong.
  • Sorority tanks: Tucked into shorts or thrown over a bathing suit, these T’s are simple and effortless. Who doesn’t like rocking their letters on the beach anyways?
  • Beach tote: Between running back and forth from the beach to your hotel room, it is too easy to lose your belongings. Carrying a durable beach tote is the perfect way to keep all of you and your date’s necessities at hand and safe. Sport nautical stripes, neon colors or vibrant sceneries. 

(Collage looks: High waisted denim shorts from ASOS, Striped tote from Forever21, Floral Crop Top from Lulu’s)

Banquet: Three words: lose, flowing and pastel. After a weekend of hanging out with your friends, staying up all hours and a diet consisting of bagel bites and microwavable Easy Macs, the last thing you are going to want to do is spend hours getting ready or all of banquet sitting in a tight, suffocating dress. Opt for loser silhouettes and flowing fabrics to make the getting ready process a breeze and the dinner more comfortable and bearable. This spring is all about the pastel and neon palettes, so stick with pinks, purples, baby blues and yellows to play up your bronzed skin.

(Collage looks: Wedges from Steve Madden, yellow maxi dress from ASOS, white halter dress from NastyGal, baby blue dress from NastyGal)

With these four looks, you will also be prepared for any occasion that might arise over the weekend without overpacking. No matter what though, go with the flow and enjoy the weekend away with your friends.