The Week Before Spring Break and Nothing to do: A Memoir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Spring break is often depicted as the most fun week in college. From movies portraying crazy spring breakers to the endless Instagrams of spring break bods, that seemed to be the week that everyone in college looked forward to. Yet it seems that every year, I wait until the last minute to make my plans for the big break! If you’re anything like me, procrastination becomes a part of your entire life, including making spring break plans. But fear not, I have been in this position before and I’m sure it won’t be the last time. If you’re scrambling to find a last minute vacay plan you’re not alone! Here are five excuses of why you (and I) waited until the week before to plan a spring break trip. Take a look and find your perfect last minute plan close to Elon that will be fun and won’t break the bank!

1. A destination trip is too expensive.

Are all of your friends going to beautiful resorts or relaxing on a beach all week? Mine too. You wholeheartedly agree to go until you see the price tag attached to that all-inclusive getaway. If you need a little TLC on the beach but can’t foot the bill, consider the Outer Banks! Not only is this a hot spot for vacationers, but you’ll get all of the relaxation you need close to home!

2. I’ve been to Disney world 10,000 times already.

Although a lot of new attractions have been added to the Wonderful World of Disney, it’s easy to feel like you’ve seen Mickey Mouse one too many times. Instead, head to Asheville! This city is like Disney World for adults (if you’re 21). From endless breweries to tour, the Biltmore to marvel at, and all of the food you can eat, Asheville has it all! Only a three hour drive from Elon and at a reasonable price, it will give you all of the fun of an amusement park without the lines!

3. All of the service trip deadlines closed a month ago.

Giving back to the community is a fun and engaging way to spend spring break; I’ve done it twice! But you’ll find yourself stuck if you’re just contemplating a service trip. Even though all of the trips are full by now, there are other ways to give back without leaving Elon! Connect with Elon Volunteers, Elon’s student run service organization for a multitude of opportunities to engage with the community during break!

4. My parents really want to see me before May.

Although going home for spring break seems lame, it can actually be a nice refresher. Seeing my family always leaves me feeling relaxed and happy. Plus, there are always hidden gems to be found at home. Explore new places and meet up with old friends this spring break! Nostalgia is good for the soul.

5. I’m under 21 but still want to have fun.

Being under 21 can feel restricting and boring, leaving you wondering what you can do instead. Lucky for you there are a lot of ways to have fun without being able to drink. Washington, D.C. is only five hours away from Elon and offers a lot to do for everyone! From shopping to sightseeing monuments to Instagramming all of the trendy brunch spots, you’ll never be bored in D.C. 

I am a senior at Elon University majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in professional writing. I love writing, fashion, and London and hope to combine my passions as a career some day. When I'm not doing homework I am probably binge watching new girl or finding new gluten free recipes online.