This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Valentine’s day is just around the corner and as a college student, romance on a budget can be hard. Here are some fun ideas to spruce up the holiday on a budget, while still having it look like a hallmark film.

1. Don’t go out for dinner, make it yourself!

Groceries are a great way to save money in college instead of eating out. Setting the mood with some candles and a home cooked meal can be just as romantic! Get dressed up, set the table and make your significant other their favorite food. The process of cooking can be fun and they will love the fact that you’re thinking about them.

1. Make your own desserts

A great way to celebrate the holiday is chocolate. So instead of going out and buying an expensive box of chocolate, get creative. Make them chocolate covered strawberries, brownies, cookies, whatever their heart desires. They say the way to their heart is through their stomach.

1. A movie night in

There’s no need to go out and spend a lot of money on a movie and dinner or a fancy show. The point of the holiday is to celebrate with one another. Put on your favorite movie, cuddle up and spend the night in just hanging and spending much needed alone time.

1. Homemade gifts

Spending the money on a present can get pricey but, it is the thought that counts. Homemade gifts are a great alternative. As long as it comes from the heart it will mean the world to them, just let them know that you care and are thinking about them even when they don’t think you are.

1. Pictures!!!!

I am a huge pictures girl. Pictures can go a long way and are great to remind someone how much they mean to you. They can spark old memories and are a great way to get nostalgic. If you want to get even more creative then add a heart filled note on the back, a way to let them know how much they mean to you.

Just a girl who loves soup, Krispy Kreme and parmesan twists.