Top 5 easy ways to handle the ‘Elon Plague’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the Elon Plague has officially hit campus. I hate to pull the Mom card,  but it is super important that you stay on top of taking care of yourself in order to be able to function at 100 percent. Here are some tips & tricks in curing/ preventing the Elon Plague.

1. Sleep

1. It sounds so easy yet I personally find this one of the most difficult things to remember. I know, it’s the beginning of the year and you want to stay out and hang with friends or you feel that you have all this time to fill with extracurriculars. Though these things are awesome, it’s important to make sure you step back from your busy schedule every so often to allow for your body to rest and recharge. A lack of sleep weakens your immune system and if you’re sick you will be unable to do all these things anyway. About seven hours is what your body needs to be able to function to its greatest potential.

1. Immunity boosting Tea

1. Tea not only soothes a sore throat but can aid in a speedy recovery. This one specifically, purchased at Whole Foods, contains green tea which is filled with antioxidants. In addition this specific product has echinacea which, according to University of Maryland’s Medical Center, “reduced the odds of developing a cold by 58% and the duration of a cold by 1 to 4 days.” Ingredients rich in vitamin C is also a good thing to look for in teas. According to The Daily Tea, some key ingredients are saffron, thyme, and rose hips.

1. Be conscious of your diet.

1. Especially when you are sick it is important to be cautious of the foods you put in your body, specifically staying away from foods containing sugar, dairy and gluten. All of these products are known to cause inflammation which can make your sickness way worse. Try to choose natural alternatives to processed foods such as whole foods, fruits and organic snacks.

1. Salt Inhaler

1. I just began using this product but so far it has truly helped me breathe better. Being a fairly new product there isn’t a whole lot of evidence on how well it actually works but it claims to “relieve breathing distress caused by pollen, allergies, secondhand smoke, asthma and sinus problems.” Doesn’t hurt to try it out!

1. Healing Elixir

1. To make this is simple. You mix apple cider vinegar, water, cinnamon and honey together. I honestly just mix a little of each ingredient until it tastes pleasant enough to drink. If you water down the vinegar enough and add honey this tastes just like apple cider. I personally have used remedies like this for weight loss though this can also be quite helpful to help with sickness. Apple cider vinegar has a plethora of benefits and adding honey can soothe a sore throat while cinnamon helps with inflammation.