Ten Tips to a Cozier Dorm Room This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

With autumn upon us and winter just around the corner, the cooler weather may have you craving home more than ever. If you’re looking to cozy up this holiday season in the comfort of your own dorm, you’ve come to the right place. Here are ten easy tips to transform your dorm into a comfy refuge.

1) Set the Scents

For the college gal who can’t light up a pumpkin spice candle in their dorm to ring in the season, have no fear! There are other aromatic options available, two of my favorites being room mists and essential oil diffusers.

For those trying to budget their spending, room and linen mists are a great option to add scents to your room. You can keep one by your bedside and lightly mist your blankets and pillow before going to sleep to set the mood for relaxation. If you’re a light sleeper, try a lavender scent to help you fall asleep!

If you’re willing to splurge a little, essential oil diffusers are a great option to automatically spray your room with the scent of your choice. You can even get diffusers that light up, like the one below from TJ Maxx! The store also sells many essential oils in fun seasonal scents like “Cinnamon Leaf” and “Holiday.”

2) Fluff Up Your Bed

While your tiny dorm room can get hot during the late summer months, the fall and winter seasons will have you never wanting to crawl out of bed. To amp-up your comfort this season, try out a warm flannel blanket. The ones shown are from Target and are available in multiple holiday prints and feature a warm sherpa layer to keep you extra cozy during the colder months.

3) Cushion Your Toes

The cold tile of dorm room floors can be a bother year-long, so go in with your roommate on an ultra-plush area rug. Chenille rugs, made of the same material as bathrobes, are the ultimate soft surface. Pick one up at the beginning of the year and your feet will thank you.

4) Dim The Lights

On cloudier days when the sun comes up later in the morning, the last thing you’re gonna want to deal with is the harsh fluorescent overhead lights in your dorm. For softer light, leave the overheads off and replace your desk lamp lights with orange light bulbs. Not only are they festive for the fall and Halloween season, but the orange will provide a soft glow like that of a Harvest Moon. Check them out at Home Depot!

5) Cushion Your Walls

Take down your boho-style tapestry and opt for a festive quilt during the fall season. It’s totally acceptable to hang a quilt over your wall instead of draping it over your bed. Not only will it create a warm and homey vibe, but it will also bring a taste of nature’s seasons into your own room.

6) DIY Elon-Style

If you’re feeling Pinterest-y, go outside and collect some fallen acorns from Elon’s campus. You can spray paint them or douse them in glitter, then display them in a fish bowl or mason jar container from the dollar store. Check out the how-to directions linked in the picture below!

7) Lazy Girl DIY

If you’re totally into the whole “DIY look” but don’t have the time to actually do-it-yourself, look to Etsy for crafty decor. The decor item pictured below combines two college girl-favs perfectly: wine and pumpkins. While this pumpkin made of painted wine corks is only $10 from Etsy, you could also make on yourself! Just paint the ends of some old wine corks orange and tie them together with twine, adding a few festive leaves (preferably fake) on top!

8) Sounds of The Season

If you’re like me and cannot possibly concentrate when listening to your favorite jams, try tuning into the sounds of nature…from right inside your own dorm! When you’re getting ready to study, put on this fall-themed playlist with the sounds of nature in autumn. Enjoy using the link attached below!

9) Display Your Snacks

Whether you keep your snacks in your room or a shared kitchen space, holidays are a perfect time to display seasonal eats; in the fall, this means apples. Not only are apples a healthy alternative to junk food snacks, but you can also turn this into a fun trip to the apple orchard with your roommates! Grab the best looking apples and display them in a rustic bowl for the perfect fall look.

10) Decorate with Seasons’ Greetings

One often overlooked area in a dorm room is the door. Decorate the entrance to your room to welcome friends during the fall season. You can hang an autumn wreath like your family might at home, or you can grab some construction paper at the dollar store and make your own cut-outs. Get your roomies together and start crafting on your next girls’ night in.

Whether you decide to do one, two, or all of the ideas above, I hope you have a blast making your dorm room a cozier place this season. Happy Fall, y’all!

Sophomore. Journalism major. Creative Writing and Leadership minors.