brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ten Most Common Instagram Photos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It’s a weekend morning. You yawn, stretch, and take care of the day’s first order of business: Instagram. You have eight hours of photos to catch up on! Here are the ten posts you are most likely to see.

10. The College Decision

Description: Alright, it’s time to announce one of your biggest life decisions. To Instagram you go! But what photo will you post? The college crest? The campus? Your acceptance letter? A photo of you in your future school’s sweatshirt? The possibilities are endless. When it doubt, PicStitch it out.

Common Captions: “Officially a (insert mascot name)! (Insert college name) Class of 20__!”

Like Strength: High

9. The #TBT Baby Photo

Description: It’s probably blurry, filtered, and off-centered. But hey – it’s Throwback Thursday; it’s a free for all. Now’s the chance to remind your followers of the innocence you once had.

Common Captions: #TBT, “Baby (insert name)”, Baby emoji

Like Strength: Medium

8. The Birthday PicStitch Photo

Description: Admit it, you scroll by this, read the caption to see whose birthday it is, decide whether you should toss it a like, then move on. As Instagrammers, we appreciate the dedication it took to create a microscopic mosaic of middle school photos and Snapchat screenshots, but the Birthday Picstitch isn’t the most intriguing of posts.

Common Captions: “Happy (insert age) birthday to the most (insert three adjectives) girl in the world! I love you to the moon and back!” (Insert random emojis)

Like Strength: Medium

7. The Plane Window

Description: This is the problem with RedEye flights. How in the world are you expected to document your skyline view!? My advice? Book an early-evening flight. Sunset and plane window view – double whammy.

Common Captions: (Insert city name), City building emoji, heart emoji, “My beautiful city”

Like Strength: Medium

6. The Starbucks Drink

Description: Aesthetically pleasing drinks only. If it’s not a Green Tea Frappuccino, Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher, or Iced Coffee with milk seeping to the bottom, we don’t want to see it. Added likes for a fresh manicure.

Common Captions: “Only thing getting me through today, Gotta love Starbs,” Heart-eyed emoji

Like Strength: Medium

5. The Dog Photo

Description: Come on people, there are entire accounts dedicated to dog photos. (@dogsofinstagram, @puppiesforall, @puppypalace) Yes, it’s over played. Yes, there are photos of cute puppies all over the Internet. But let’s be real – everyone’s a sucker for the Dog Photo post.

Common Captions: “My little nugget,” “My main man/lady,” Dog emoji, Heart emojis

Like Strength: High

4. The College Campus

Description: For $40,000 per year, you better believe that I’m gonna Instagram this campus! I mean seriously, they should add an “Instagram-Op” section to College Prowler.

Common Captions: “My beautiful school,” “So lucky to wake up here every day,” School emojis

Like Strength: Medium/High

3. The Froyo Photo

Description: The Froyo Post can go one of two ways. The carefully crafted Pinkberry swirl decorated with fresh fruit – A+. The self-serve mess of obscure flavors mixed with brownie chunks, fluff, and heath bar – leave it to Snapchat.

Common Captions: Heart-eyed emoji, Smiling-tongue emoji, A-OK hand emoji

Like Strength: Medium/High

2. The Sunset Photo

Description: At this point, I don’t think the sun will set unless it is Instagrammed. I mean, I have seen people pulled over on the side of the road taking photos of the sunset. The best part – it might qualify as a #NoFilter Post. Bonus likes.

Common Captions: #NoFilter, “A beautiful end to a beautiful day”, “Love this place”, Sunset emojis, Heart-eyed emoji

Like Strength: High

1. The Restaurant Food Photo

Need I say more?

Now, don’t let this list deter you from posting tonight’s dinner or tomorrow’s Starbucks drink. Without these posts, Instagram just wouldn’t be the same.