Staying Healthy & Fit for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Whether you’re heading home for some relaxation, working a summer job or preparing for an internship, staying healthy and fit during the summer can be tough. Although you might be tempted to lounge on the beach and eat ice cream every day, here are some fun activities and easy tips that will help you feel great and stay in shape!

Get Up & Swim!

Whether you’re sun bathing on the beach or hanging by the pool, make a pact with yourself to always go swimming. Commit yourself to swimming for at least 20 minutes even if the ocean is chilly! If the water is cold you will actually burn more calories as you’re body fights to stay warm. And don’t just wade in the water… actually swim and move around. Try body surfing or boogie boarding for fun.

Go Rollerblading

It’s fun and it’s a great workout. Rollerblading is fabulous for slimming your inner thighs and leg-toning altogether. Get a few friends together and go rollerblading through the park. Pack a healthy meal and have a picnic after!

Choose Fro-yo

While it’s okay to indulge in your favorite ice cream once in a while, using summertime as an excuse to eat it can be dangerous. If you’re craving a chilly treat, choose a nonfat frozen yogurt or a fruit smoothie instead. Keep it healthy by adding fresh fruit and granola. But be careful –although fro-yo is a much better option than ice cream, it has a lot of sugar and should be enjoyed as a treat!

Run with a Buddy!

Find a friend and set up a running schedule to stick to. Pick three to four days per week and run either in the morning or in the evening to avoid busy schedules and the heat of the midday sun. Running is the perfect start or finish to your day and committing to a schedule with a friend will keep you both motivated to stick with it and encourage one another.

Hydrate!

Water needs to be your best friend this summer. Have a water bottle with you at all times and drink even more water than you normally would. The hot summer rays are draining and will increase sweating so it is incredibly easy to dehydrate yourself. Dehydration can lead to fatigue and hunger so keep sipping! To add some flavor, try soaking these ingredients in a pitcher for refreshing spa water combinations:

·      Lemon wedges and raspberries

·      Apple slices and cinnamon sticks

·      Cucumber and honeydew melon

·      Watermelon and mint leaves

·      Strawberries and orange slices

Eat FRESH

Decide against processed foods and snacks and dig into fresh foods. Summer is the best time to enjoy your favorite fruits and veggies. Here are some ideas for healthy summer meals:

·      Breakfast: Nonfat plain Greek yogurt with fresh berries, vanilla almond granola, and a drizzle of raw honey

·      Lunch: Spinach salad (baby spinach, sliced tomato, fresh basil, cubed avocado, cucumber, dressing: olive oil, fresh lime juice, sea salt)

·      Dinner: Grilled salmon with fresh pineapple salsa, steamed green beans, and light roasted potatoes

Try Paddle Boarding

Besides being super fun and adventurous, paddle boarding is an amazing core body workout –it will definitely leave your stomach sore. Grab a group of friends and try it! Most local parks and beaches have paddleboards that can be rented out for the day. Consciously engage your abdominals when paddling and you will get an even more effective workout.

Get Hot & Sweaty at Yoga

Do hot power yoga at least once a week. Although a vigorous workout, yoga can be practiced at all levels because of the many modifications offered. The fast-paced flow of power yoga and the twisting focused poses will wring you out- literally! Allow yourself to drip in sweat to release any toxins you are holding onto, knowing that this is so good for you. But remember to drink extra water during and after to prevent dehydration!

Enjoy Coconut Water

Packed with electrolytes and potassium, coconut water is a great way to stay hydrated. It’s tasty and refreshing and will generate energy within your body to keep you going through the day.

Sky Cowans is a junior at Elon University, majoring in communications with a concentration in broadcast journalism. She is currently a reporter for Elon Local News and Elon in the Morning. Passionate about health and fitness, she is also a group exercise instructor for Elon Campus Rec. In her free time she loves making smoothies, going to the beach, and doing hot power yoga. Sky can be reached at scowans@elon.edu.