St Patty’s Day Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

March 17, 2014. Everyone has celebrated Saint Patrick’s Day since they were in elementary school, wearing green and pinching anyone who forgot the rule of the day. Now, as sophisticated college students, we have a whole different way to celebrate (maybe not quite as sophisticated as we thought). Here are seven lucky ways to celebrate the all green holiday this year!

Green Velvet Cupcakes

Red velvet cupcakes are a staple of the Winter holidays, but there is a way to make the delicious treat last all year! Take your favorite recipe and swap out the red food coloring for green. You end up with the perfect St Patty’s Day treat. (There are also shamrock cupcake tins available almost everywhere right now!)

Green Pancakes/Waffles

Keeping the food treats coming! There is no better way to spend a holiday. Keeping the food-coloring trick going, add some green food coloring to your favorite pancakes or waffles! It’ll make you feel a little more festive on such a colorful holiday.

Key Lime Pie

If you’re feeling extra festive and the need to cook, make a Key Lime Pie to share. Kiwis can be shaped into the perfect shamrock, and these pies are easy as pie to make! You can just follow the easiest recipe in the book and add the shamrock for the special day.

St. Patty’s Day Trail Mix

Trail mix…The easiest snack in the book. Throw it into a bag and shake it around. It’s a definite people pleaser with ingredients of your choosing. To make it even more special for St Patty’s Day, add some lucky charm marshmallows with the pretzels and M&M’s. Use green M&M’s to keep the theme going!

Shamrock Shakes

Everyone has a favorite St Patty’s Day drink, but maybe it is time to try a new one! Shamrock Shakes from McDonald’s are always advertised this time of year. Why not make your own? With three cups of your favorite vanilla ice cream, a cup and a half of whole milk, half a teaspoon of mint extract, and green food coloring, you have two shamrock shakes! Just blend it all together in a blender to your desired consistency for a frosty treat on this special day!

Lime Sherbet Floats

Just to keep the drinks coming, this is one of my favorite treats! Lime Sherbet Floats used to be my mom’s go-to when I had any sort of sickness. Now they are just delicious treats that just so happen to be naturally green. All it takes it as many scoops of lime sherbet as you desire and then pouring Seven-Up onto the ice cream. Add a cute straw and you have a delicious and adorable treat.

Pot of Gold

And just in case you’re a gift giver like me, here is a quick and adorable treat to pass on to a friend: their very own pot of gold! Rolos and a cute jar with ribbon? Easy peasy and absolutely precious!