This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

SPRINGing Forward

Winter always has a way of making me feel unmotivated and in a slump. Now that spring is upon us, I have taken it upon myself to brighten my mood, act upon my creative urgencies and focus in on my goals.

Here are 5 steps to “spring forward” into a more positive lifestyle…

5 Min Journal – I have been using the 5 Min Journal App everyday to reflect on my days. Happiness is a choice and to be happy it is a choice you need to make everyday. In the morning, the App lets you list what you are grateful for and what you will do to make the day great. Before bed, I use the App to list what happened during the day that made the day great. It also allows you to add a picture from the day. I have been using this App for a few weeks now and I already feel like it has helped to ground my thoughts and put daily stresses into perspective.

A New Skincare Routine – When my skin feels healthy and cleansed, I feel fresh and motivated. I have been making sure to use a gentle cleanser every morning and every night. I use an exfoliating scrub 2-3 times a week. I apply a night cream to moisturize my skin before bed. If I really need a skin reboot, I will use a face mask. My favorite right now is the L’OREAL Detox & Brighten Clay Mask.

Water- Staying hydrated is the key to a healthy lifestyle and to having good skin. However, I always struggle with being disciplined about drinking enough water throughout the day. What I find the most useful is drinking a glass of water when I wake up, carrying a reusable water bottle around throughout my day, and drinking a class before bed.

A New Workout Routine – I always get bored if I stick to the same routine. Recently I have been incorporating more yoga into my workouts. Yoga helps me feel in-tune with my body and is a great way to de-stress. I HATE cardio… like I really really hate it. For cardio I have been cycling on a peloton bike. I throw on a Youtube video, and cycle for 30-35 min before completing the rest of my workout. I try to hop on the stairmaster about once a week because it really makes the legs burn.

Appreciate The Little Things – This might sound way to cliche, sorry, but it seriously is so important to take the time to appreciate everything around you. Recently I have been forcing myself to pay attention to the birds chirping, sun shining, and flowers blooming around Elon’s botanical garden looking campus. Appreciating the small things helps me to push away the everyday stress of classes and commitments.

Brooke Galonek is studying Strategic Communications and Marketing at Elon University. She is on the Executive Team of Elon's chapter and has contributed by writing, planning events, and managing social media. Brooke is passionate about digital marketing, event planning, brand positioning, and market research. In the fall of 2019, she will be studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark.