Spring Break 2014: The Perfect Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As Spring Break 2014 sneaks up on us, we’ve got to start planning one of the most important parts of break: the playlist. Whether you’re off to the beach, traveling cross-country, or just hanging out at home, a solid playlist can be exactly what you need to make this break a memorable one.

1. Clementine by Sarah Jaffe

Folksy and upbeat, this song by Sarah Jaffe makes me warm and fuzzy inside and hopeful that we’ll end up with a break that’s just as warm.

2. Before You Go (Lana Del Rey x EMBERZ) Remix by DJ Topsider

Lana Del Rey exploded into popular culture this summer with Summertime Sadness. The good news? That everyone knows the beauty that is Lana. The bad? How overplayed it is. Fall in love with this song again via this incredible remix.

Download for free on SoundCloud.

3. XO by Beyoncé

Because Queen Bey is never not a good idea.

4. Falling by HAIM

I have to admit that this song was on my Spring Break 2013 playlist, but 100+ plays later, it’s still got the perfect mix of calm and strangeness that adds something unique to a spring break playlist.

5. Happy by Pharrell

Let’s be real – he’s 40 and somehow still one of the most beautiful men in the world. As if that wasn’t reason alone to fawn over Pharrell, he’s also produced one of the most optimistic songs I’ve ever heard.

6. Fly Away by August York

It’s cute, it’s folksy, and it feels like a love-filled, sun-filled car.

7. Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap

The perfect follow up to Fly Away, this song feels like a love-filled, sun-filled car on a mission. Blast it with the windows down and bask in temporary youth.

8. Changing Times by Iwan Rheon

Not only did he star in one of the greatest and strangest shows ever (if you’ve never seen Misfits, go check it out!), Iwan Rheon is also absolutely adorable and created this happy little song.

9. Something About The Fire (Carlos Serrano Mix) by Adele vs. Daft Punk

Set Fire to the Rain will always be one of my favorite songs, and this mix with Daft Punk pulls the song from a sad love ballad to something a little bit funkier.

10. Romanticise by Chela

Keep things funky with this cool beat by Chela. Pull on a pair of edgy shoes, pop in your headphones, and let this song guide you as you adventure around wherever it is that you’re headed.

11. Q.U.E.E.N. by Janelle Monáe Featuring Erykah Badu

A goddess of all things musical, Janelle Monáe will pump you up as you get ready to go out – ever wondered, “What’s the best song for dancing in the mirror?” You’ve found it.

12. Right Now by Rihanna Featuring David Guetta

Because we all wish we had a friend like Rihanna to party with, blast this song on repeat and pretend that a little bit of Rih Rih has entered your life.

13. Big Jet Plane by Angus and Julia Stone

The ultimate traveling song.

14. Mexico by The Staves

A nice sleepy song for those spring break days when you just want to curl up in bed and not think about how much work you’ll have when you return to school.

15. Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson

Because, inevitably, it will rain (or worse, snow) over spring break, here is a song about making pancakes and avoiding the outside.

You’ve got our suggestions – time to go buy some music, load up some CDs or your iPod, and enjoy Spring Break 2014!

Rachel is the Senior Editor at Her Campus. She graduated from Elon University in 2015 where she wrote for Her Campus's Elon chapter as well as the national LGBTQ+ section, and has since held editorial positions at Hello Giggles and Brit + Co along with running social media for several publishers. Her work has been published in Teen Vogue, Glamour, StyleCaster, and SELF, and she can be found in North Carolina smearing face masks on in the name of content. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram @RachelCharleneL.