The So-Called “Best Night of the Year”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Tonight marks the night of the annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. The fashion show that so many girls look forward to watching for an entire year. To be honest, I sometimes wonder why so many people become so obsessed with watching it… I’ll admit, I’m guilty of watching it a few times, but I wouldn’t go so far as to call myself “obsessed”.

My reasoning for thinking the obsession of the fashion show is a bit weird is because when people do watch it, they just compare their own bodies to those of the models, and find themselves complaining about how or why they will never look that way. Watching the fashion show is something that can bring attention to what a girl “will never look like.” It may be entertaining for some to watch, as all the models are strikingly beautiful and they have exciting celebrity performances take place while the models walk the runway. The main issue I have with the fashion show, however, is that viewers only see these women in a very rare form, so many lose sight of the fact that these women are paid millions of dollars to look the way that they do. While the models are obviously genetically blessed, it’s also part of their job to work out each day with personal trainers, and to eat clean – it’s difficult for people to keep this in mind when they’re watching an hour and a half runway show.

I am not writing this as somebody who thinks that they’re above watching the fashion show. I do not have anything against those who watch it, or even watching it myself, it’s true that it’s some good entertainment. But, would I consider the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show the “best night of the year” like many other girls I know? Can’t say that I do.