This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Let’s make something clear: gender stereotypes still exist. Despite how much society has progressed, these stereotypes continue to play a role in everyday life whether we care to admit it or not. When it comes to the sports industry, it has been dominated by males for as long as many can remember. This year marks the 55th Super Bowl. One might ask: What’s so special about it this time? The answer is Sarah Thomas. 

Who is she? Thomas will be the first woman to ever officiate the Super Bowl. This is not the first time that she has broken gender barriers in the sports industry. In 2007, Thomas became the first woman to ever officiate a major college football game and in 2019, she was the first woman to officiate an NFL playoff game. At 47 years old, Sarah Thomas has broken several gender stereotypes and barriers in the world of sports. While it may not seem that important to some, she has become a role model for many young women including her daughter.

For some, it is hard to believe that anything is possible. Women like Sarah Thomas continue to remind us every day that you can believe anything is possible. If you want something, go get it. As women, it is up to us to help break these gender stereotypes and get rid of any barriers that continue to get in our way. Just because many industries tend to be male-dominated, does not mean that a woman cannot work her way to the top. Sarah Thomas is a prime example of this. A remarkable achievement like this is a step in the right direction for women all over the world. As Michelle Obama once said, “There is no limit to what we as women can accomplish.

Strategic Communications major with a double minor in Business Administration and International Global Studies at Elon University.