Running Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Running Around the World

Nicole Cutler isn’t your average junior studying abroad for the semester. While most students use their time abroad to relax on the beaches of Santorini and take strolls under the Eiffel tower, Nicole is doing that and then some. A fitness junkie from a young age, Nicole came to Europe in August with a very unique aspiration, to run a marathon. While dealing with daunting amounts of homework, the stress of travel, and the overall adjustment of living in an unfamiliar country she has managed to run every day, docking more and more miles with every passing week. She has truly taken the “No days off” mentality to the next level and does not let weekend trips stop her. When asked what countries she has run in so far, she replied,

“So far, I have ran in The Czech Republic, London, Poland, Austria, Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands, and Spain. I will also be going to Hungary, Denmark, and France and plan on running there. My last trip will be to Portugal, on the first weekend of December, where I plan on running a full Marathon with my Dad.”

Nicole further explained that running is an outlet for her, especially here in Europe, to explore the new places she has been visiting. She also jokes about the difficulty of adjusting to the cobblestone streets. She adds that she doesn’t plan on stopping her Marathon career after Lisbon.

“I plan on running at least 4 marathons before the age of 50. When I ran a half marathon, even though I felt like I was going to collapse at the end there was no better feeling than the runner’s high that it gave me. I am constantly setting mileage goals for myself through a strict weekly schedule. Whenever I slip up I get frustrated but it only motivates me to work harder,” she explains.

Nicole’s dedication to her passion is clear and admirable. While most of us choose to use our spare time to nap or watch Netflix, she continues to train as her marathon date draws closer.  It’s safe to say that Nicole will continue to run around the world for the rest of her life.