Quick Getaway: A guide to two days in Wilmington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Everyone loves a quick getaway… right? A group of my friends and I decided we were in need of a little adventure. Friday after classes, we packed up two cars and drove to Wilmington, North Carolina for a one night and two day trip.

Where to stay: A hotel or an Airbnb are both perfectly good options in this area. There are hotels for every budget. On our tight college budgets, My friends and I decided to save money and stay at the Best Western Plus Wilmington/Wrightsville. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel for the price we paid. The room was clean and comfortable. The front-desk staff offered many suggestions for dinner and shopping.

Night-time Activities: Once checked in and settled, my friends and I threw on little dresses and ubered downtown to N. Front Street. We took photos (at golden hour… of course) and walked along the river walk until we stumbled upon a restaurant called The George on the Riverwalk. I would highly suggest this place… especially around sunset. We got outdoor seating and watched the sky turn beautiful shades of pink, orange and red. The menu had plenty of options from seafood to pasta and even had a vegan section. I got a marinated portabella mushroom dish and a side of sweet potato fries. I ate every last bite.

If you are over 21, there are many bars in the downtown area. If you are just looking for some post dinner dessert, Kilwins Chocolates is a MUST STOP. I got a champagne truffle that was to die for. No, I’m not being dramatic.

Day-time Activities: After eating breakfast in the hotel, we checked out and headed to Wrightsville beach. High 70s and sunny was the recipe for a perfect beach day. It was a much needed reset before the final push of this school year. For lunch we went to Tower 7 Baja Mexican Grill. The restaurant had a beachy vibe, with videos of people surfing playing on a TV on the wall. I ordered a veggie fajita. It was full of flavor and the perfect serving size. My friend Kat got a fish bowl, and enjoyed every bite.  

Before we hit the road to head back to Elon, we went to Cafe Del Mar and got smoothies. I am IN LOVE with peanut butter. If you are too, you need to try the Fuel Up smoothie. Blueberries, bananas, almonds, peanut butter and almond milk made for the perfect smoothie combination.

That was a glimpse of my quick Wilmington getaway. My main takeaway from this trip? A girl’s trip is ALWAYS a good idea.

Brooke Galonek is studying Strategic Communications and Marketing at Elon University. She is on the Executive Team of Elon's chapter and has contributed by writing, planning events, and managing social media. Brooke is passionate about digital marketing, event planning, brand positioning, and market research. In the fall of 2019, she will be studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark.