An Open Letter to My Mom Left Behind at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Coming to college as a homebody, I expected to miss home, my family and no doubt about it, my mom. I definitely am a mom’s girl and I am not ashamed. Sometimes, I can’t help but think I rely on my mom too much, but then who cares?

I have come to realize over my first year at college, is that I never will stop needing my mom. I will never stop wanting to be able to hug her every day. But with that realization, I also found out that whether I am 60 miles away from home or 600 miles, I will always rely on her.

I will not lie that when I’m home for a longer break, I get used to her being around and have no problem running off after dinner for the night to hang out with my friends. It’s a natural thing. But that’s only because the simple fact that when I come home late at night, she’s there.

Now, when I come home late at night, or come back to my room after class, I miss my mom. Because she simply is not there. She is a 10-hour drive away, and I don’t even have a car to make that trek if I wanted to.

The truth is, I don’t know when I won’t have to rely on my moms funny contact name with 10 million emojis popping up on my phone to make me happy. But that’s OK, because I need that when I miss so much about my mom.

I miss……

1. Her knowing me inside and out… like really. She knows my schemy ways, she knows when I’m not myself, she lets me rant on just to calm me down, she truly gets me.

2. Her understanding my style. I always steal her clothes, but she wears my clothes just as much. That only means she gets me the best gifts, because she knows what I like…I mean how great is that?

3. Her hugs. I know, such a cliché, but I’m serious. Somehow there’s magic in every mom hug, where she can hug me and make all my problems melt away. I miss those the most.

4. How she knows all the right things to say. She really knows me, and knows exactly what to tell me at the right time and exactly how to cheer me up.

5. How she is definitely a “cool mom.” I won’t lie that my mom has been embarrassing at times. BUT I also can’t lie that I secretly want to be her. She has a ton of friends, is the kindest hearted person, is hilarious, and honestly sometimes has a better social life than me.

6. Her pride in me. This isn’t as obvious of a reason to miss your mom. But I miss how my mom makes me feel like the most amazing person. She never fails to make me feel like I do everything right and am the best. But really, I’m so proud of her.

7. Her meals. I don’t know about you, but I miss those a lot. I took her skills for granted, but she is really one kick-a** cook. Like wow. She always bugs me to learn and I secretly don’t want to because 1) I know I can never be as good as her and 2) I’m lazy. But for real, she is amazing at cooking.

8. Her. Sorry, but it’s true! Everything about my mom is who I want to be and why I miss her so much. She is the most amazing woman I know, and I don’t think she knows that. I don’t have one bad thing to say about her. She’s my person.

I love you Mom, see you sooner than soon!

Fairfield, Connecticut Elon University, Class of 2019