Online Shopping on a Collegiette Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As the days get both colder and shorter, our workload gets harder and heavier. When you need a retreat from the chaos, what better way to relax than shopping?

While a day trip to Durham or Greensboro can be hard to squeeze in and even harder to justify when you’re busy, the world is right at your fingertips when you shop online. These are some of my favorite, affordable sites to shop!

Lulus.com

Lulus is great for inexpensive dresses, for going out or for formal. They have tons of options but you can narrow them down by color, style, or even price. Be sure to check out their cute skirts, accessories, tops and jackets (though usually the outerwear is on the more expensive side). They have new inventory almost every day and if your favorite item is out of stock you can send them a message to find out if it’s coming back!

ModCloth.com
ModCloth is similar to Lulus but has a little more of an Urban Outfitter’s feel to their clothes. Among their inventory, you’ll find housewares, shoes and cute gifts as well as all kinds of fun clothes. This site is a little harder to narrow results, but that just means more shopping around, right?

Piperlime.com

For those of you who want the designer brand and look without the price tag, Piperlime is the site for you. I owe all of my knowledge of this one to my sister. Whenever I tell her I like her earrings or new shoes, she responds “Piperlime! Half price.” This site has a wide variety of clothes, shoes and accessories.

Asos.com
For another designer “look-for-less” site, check out Asos. This site has a great mobile-compatible version for quick shopping on the go and features lots of brands, including some you’ve certainly heard of and lots you should check out! The Asos brand clothes are super chic and a bit lower priced than some of their other merchandise, so starting there may be the cheaper option! They also have a great sale section, which is never a bad thing.

Finally, no matter what site you shop on, do a quick Google search for coupon codes. Retailmenot.com is great place for codes and free shipping offers for all sorts of stores. Just type in the name of the site and “coupons” or “coupon codes” and something is bound to pop up! You may get more for you money by buying spending a certain amount to get free shipping. What’s that saying? The more you spend the more you save?! Happy spending!

Piperlime Photo Credit
LuLus Photo Credit

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.