My New York Fashion Week Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

For as long as I can remember, one of my lifelong dreams has been to attend Fashion Week in New York City. But, with the unrealistic expectation that I would in fact ever be amongst some of the world’s most incredible and brilliant fashion designers, I gave up that dream a long time ago. Then, after a summer spent at a Fashion PR firm in Manhattan, my dream returned.

My summer spent with Krupp Group was one of hard work, determination, and a no-tolerance policy for complaining (not that I ever would-I was surrounded by designer label clothes every day). Toward the end of my internship, the agency invited back all of the summer interns who had dedicated their time to the company to help out when Fashion Week rolled around. I immediately jumped at the chance and bought a plane ticket back, knowing that no amount of missed classes or homework to make up would be worth missing this incredible opportunity.

The shows that I attended were Rachel Antonoff, Lela Rose, and Chris Benz. Rachel Antonoff and Chris Benz were presentations, meaning that photographers, editors, celebrities, and other invitees walked through the designated space and viewed the entire spring/summer 2013 collection. Lela Rose was an actual runway show, where the models strutted down the runway in the designer’s collection one-by-one. All three shows were amazing, as the collections define what many people will be wearing come spring 2013.

Besides being surrounded by high-end, beautiful clothing, it was the most star-studded event I have ever been to. I do not consider myself to be fascinated with celebrities, but even I have to admit that I was absolutely star struck. Lena Dunham, Lauren Conrad, and Mariska Hargitay were just a few that I saw. And of course,
the paparazzi were swarming around Joan Rivers, Paula Abdul, and Susan Sarandon another day. It makes me really grateful that I’m not a celebrity, because I am not constantly “ready for my close-up”.

All in all, my experience at Fashion Week was without a doubt the best in my entire life. I love fashion, and being in the city at one of the most iconic and world-renowned events was indescribable. I could go on forever talking about my Fashion Week experience, but to keep this short and sweet, just know that for 72 hours, I was on Cloud 9 of Fashion.

Disclaimer-the photos were taken with my phone, and thus not of the best quality.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.