This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Meet Mabel Kitchens, a first-year Communications Fellow who is already making her mark on the Comm School, becoming a dj on the WSOE 89.3 radio show ‘Mondaze.’

What year are you?

First-year

What is your major?

Cinema & Television

What made you decide to get involved with WSOE?

Well, I want to work in the music industry in music video production or just any type of entertainment media, but specifically music. I’m just a big music head so this is an excuse to make people listen to my playlists. Also, I can do whatever I want. Tonight I have a live person coming on the show to play. I can interview people. I can talk about whatever I want. It’s fun and something I’m interested in.

What is your favorite part about the show ‘Mondaze?’

Hearing feedback from people who liked the music. My dad told me that he actually really likes everything I listen to which is weird because he’s 50-something, and I’m a millennial. It was interesting that he actually enjoyed the show. Also, friends have been like, “I really like your playlist can you send it to me,” so that’s always cool.

What music are you loving at the moment?

I’m listening to a lot of Zach Abels’ new album that came out the other day. I listen to Oso Oso a lot and I am going to see Magic City Hippies on Thursday.  

Do you see yourself having a career in radio?

Not particularly, but it’s kind of unexpected, and in the music industry it’s kinda just wherever you float to. I’m kind of interested in going into radio. I just want to end up in the music industry somehow, specifically with media and music video production.

Have their been any challenges so far with the radio show?

Learning how to work the soundboard. I actually have a cheat sheet in my bag. One of the guys had to draw it out for me, and what each little level does and all the buttons. I have to learn how to control it for a live performance, which makes me nervous.

What is your favorite thing about Elon?

My favorite thing about Elon is all the opportunities, especially in the communications program. The school in itself is great with opportunities and how engaged the professors and administration is. But, specifically, in the communications department I feel like it’s nonstop and you have the freedom to explore whatever you want to do.

Brooke Galonek is studying Strategic Communications and Marketing at Elon University. She is on the Executive Team of Elon's chapter and has contributed by writing, planning events, and managing social media. Brooke is passionate about digital marketing, event planning, brand positioning, and market research. In the fall of 2019, she will be studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark.