Love Should Not Hurt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Are you aware that someone you know and love has likely been a victim of domestic violence or is currently in an abusive relationship of some sort? October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, and according to loveisrespect (a partner with Break the Cycle and the National Domestic Violence Hotline), nearly 1 in 3 (29%) of college women report being in an abusive relationship, 43% of dating women in college report experiencing abusive dating behaviors.

Despite these astronomical statistics, 58% of college students say they don’t know how to help someone who has been or is a victim of dating abuse and 38% of college students—both men and women—say they don’t know how to get help for themselves should they become a victim of domestic violence. These rough statistics underestimate the phenomenon of domestic and dating violence; many victims do not report intimate partner or domestic violence to their friends, family or the police. Family Abuse Services of Alamance County can help if you or a loved one feels abused, threatened, or unsafe in an intimate partner relationship.

Family Abuse Services hosted an event last week, on October 21st, to honor victims and raise awareness about domestic violence. Their program, Strides for Safe Relationships partnered with Alpha Chi Omega, CrossRoads, Alamance For Freedom, SPARKS and EFFECT at the Academic Village Amphitheater in a walk to end relationship violence. The event was a huge, eye-opening and heart-rending success. A countless amount of Elon students showed up for the walk that was followed by speakers from the Family Abuse Services. It ended with a candlelight vigil to honor victims of domestic and dating violence, both those who have and have not survived their victimization. I think, and hope, the event made the students in attendance aware that domestic violence can either happen to or effect anyone, and it’s something that college students need to take seriously, especially in this booming dating culture (and meeting people in cyberspace…I’m looking at you Tinder people). Love. Should. Not. Hurt.

Intimate partner violence (IPV) takes place between two people in a close relationship and includes 4 types of behavior: physical violence, sexual violence, threats (means to portray the intent to harm) and emotional abuse (namely, inflicting upon a partner’s self worth). According to the US Department of Justice, females age 20-24 are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence and someone they know most often victimizes them. Raising awareness of domestic violence opens doors both for preventing and reacting to domestic, dating or intimate partner violence. The Elon Student Health and Wellness Program defines the infrastructure of sexual violence prevention in three categories: violence support, consent education and bystander intervention. However, as statistics reveal, many college students don’t know how to execute these three pillars.

Though Domestic Violence Awareness Month has come to an end, domestic violence hasn’t, but awareness is on the rise. I know this is heavy, but it’s imperative; pay close attention to your friends and loved ones, reach out to them if you suspect anything like I’ve written about above. Domestic, dating and intimate partner violence ends with us.

For more information or to get help, please call:

Family Abuse Services of Alamance County:

FAS 24-hour crisis line, call 336-226-5985.

Main office, call 336-226-5982.

THE NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOTLINE at 1-800-799-7233

THE NATIONAL SEXUAL ASSAULT HOTLINE AT 1-800-656-4673

THE NATIONAL TEEN DATING ABUSE HOTLINE AT 1-866-331-9474

I try to be who I am and do what I do, you know what I mean? (-Jerry Garcia)