Lindsay Gabriel, Panhellenic President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Meet Lindsay Gabriel, a senior sport and event management major and the president of the Panhellenic Council (PHC). Her main job is to serve as the liaison between the nine sororities that make up the Panhellenic Council and Elon University administration.  Greek life isn’t the only way she’s involved: she’s also a member of the Premier Sport and Management Society and has worked for the athletics department for the past two years.

• What are your duties as PHC president?

I am essentially the spokesperson for our Panhellenic Council. I’m in charge of the seven other members of the Panhellenic Executive Board and make sure they’re all doing their own duties. Since we do not have an acting treasurer, I handle our budgets and dues. Most of my duties are not defined and as a result I often step into responsibilities or solve last minute issues.

• How many PHC organizations are on campus?

We currently have nine sororities on campus and each sorority has approximately 110 members. The organizations are Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Delta, Phi Mu, Sigma Kappa, Sigma Sigma Sigma and Zeta Tau Alpha.

• What PHC organization are you in?

Another part of my position as president is to be a Pi Chi, a counselor for women going through formal recruitment in January. As a result, I am currently disaffiliated from my own organization along with the other Pi Chis.

• Why did you join your organization?

I knew when I went on my first tour of Elon that I wanted to check out Greek Life. I think I signed up for recruitment the first available day – I was THAT excited. I wanted to be Greek to make more friends, get involved and to be more engaged in service and philanthropy. I joined my specific organization because every woman I met from that organization could relate to me on some level, which was important to me. I was also impressed with their philanthropy.

• What is the difference between the Panhellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Council?

Panhellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Council stand for similar things: service, sisterhood/brotherhood and scholarship and act as governing bodies. NPHC consists of nine historically black and diverse fraternities and sororities who decided to unite in one council, which is similar to what happened when 26 all-female sororities decided to group and form the Panhellenic Council. The Inter-fraternity Council is the third council of Elon Greek Life and is all male fraternities. Although there are three different councils with different customs and styles of recruitment, we are all part of our organizations for the same reasons.

• What is your favorite color?

This is so cliché but my favorite color is pink!

• What is your favorite thing to do?

I have a lot of favorite things to do, but recently I’ve really enjoyed going to the Zumba class at Campus Rec.

• Any advice for people interested in joining PHC?

I would tell them to be open minded to joining a sorority and to not believe the “Animal House” stereotype of Greek Life organizations. I would also encourage them to attend Miss Recruitment in November to learn more about the logistics of recruitment and to register for formal recruitment online. There will be an email sent out toward the end of the semester.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.