This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Initially I could not have been more devastated by plaid’s prominence in this fall’s looks.  Out of any print why place emphasis and prestige on one that dawns Christmas season decorations? The inner Catholic schoolgirl in me cringed- could this trend look any more like a mob of high schoolers gone wrong?

Upon second glance though plaid is a classic and adds sophistication or edge to any outfit when done correctly. Here are a few ways to work traditional plaid prints into your fall wardrobe:

The classic flannel:  Similar to the denim chambray fad, a plaid flannel is extremely versatile and a staple for any collegiate’s wardrobe. While most throw it on simply buttoned to the upper chest with a pair of dark jeans and a vest, this season try mixing up the way you wear it.

The best part about this piece is that it can mold any mood.  If you are feeling edgy try treating it like a jacket and layer it with graphic tees paired with distressed denim or leather leggings.  For a girlier look wear it belted with a cotton dress.  For a more retro look, rock it tied around your waist.

Coats: Feeling bold? Stray from the standard neutral colored winter coats and make a play for the plaid.  Don’t you hate how a coat can completely cover a good outfit? Rocking a plaid coat adds interest to your outfit and doesn’t wash you out. Pair it with a knit beanie, booties and neutral knit scarves. 

Bold accessories: Not much of a bold prints or color person?  Add some personality to your neutral ensembles with plaid scarves or mittens.  Choosing plaids with thinner stripes that incorporate less colors will be easier to incorporate into outfits and don’t add too much flare.

Embrace the plaid. These looks will assure that your plaid is sophisticated and edgy.