How to Make the Most of Your Last Weeks Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

The time has flown by and it seems like just yesterday you were hugging goodbye your parents at the airport, tears in your eye, but bound for a journey beyond your wildest dreams. As your last few weeks of studying abroad come to a close you may already be slithering into the depression you know you will have when you are sitting back at home, bored out of your mind and unable to enjoy the many pleasures you have found in your new foreign home. You won’t be able to just walk down the street and get homemade gelato, or hop on a plane and go skydiving, or look out your window and see a hundred hot foreign men just waltzing down the street. But before I make you too depressed, here is some advice for how you can make the very most of your last few weeks studying abroad and go home with no regrets.

Just go for it!

You know that guy you’ve had your heart set on since you first saw him? Maybe he’s the beautiful Italian man who makes the most incredible pizza at that little place down the street. Or maybe he’s the mysterious musician who lives in your building. Until now, you have been too shy to talk to him. Well- what do you have to lose? You have a few weeks left in this place and you will never see him again! So be direct and flirtatious and just go for it! The worst thing that can happen is he says he’s not interested. And the best thing that can happen is you have a passionate cinema worthy make out sesh that you won’t forget for the rest of your life. The choice is yours!

Do one thing everyday that scares you.

Much like approaching your “dream man” may frighten you, doing something everyday that is risky and out of your comfort zone is a great way to make some lasting memories. They won’t always turn out picture perfect, but at least you’re taking a chance. Just by studying abroad you are jumping out of your comfort zone, but now you have created a new one in your new home, so it’s time to push the boundaries even further in your last few weeks. Doing something that scares you doesn’t mean putting yourself in an unsafe situation. It could mean trying a new food, talking to a total stranger, or taking the train to a different part of town with no plans at all.

Remember that Bucket List?

If you made a bucket list at the beginning of your time abroad, now is the time to search your room for it and pull it out! Check off all of the things you have already done and look at what you haven’t done: what’s left? What can you realistically still complete within the short time you have left? If there’s a lot you still haven’t done, don’t be upset! Instead, think about all of the things you HAVE done that probably weren’t even on your radar before! Then choose 2-3 things that you really want to do and make it happen.

Don’t stress about school.

Yes there are papers due, exams, assignments, projects… and yes this can be stressful, but don’t waste your energy. You should obviously care about your grades in some capacity, but in the grand scheme of things, when you look back on this time 10, 20, 40 years from now, think about what you will remember most and what you want to remember. I bet none of that has to do with your classes. Schedule portions of time to make sure you get your assignments done, but it’s not the end of the world if it’s not your best work. The letter grade doesn’t say anything about how many other valuable life skills you have learned along the way- finding yourself and where your heart lies. So continue to embrace the adventure and don’t stress about work!

Pretend like you just arrived.

I know it’s hard not to prematurely fall into depression just at the thought of having to leave, but that attitude could hinder some of your last moments abroad. Instead, pretend like you just arrived! You’re excited, ambitious and want to try everything! Go back to that place and grasp every moment you can. Don’t say no to anything and be excited about everything! You will have plenty of time to be sad when you get home, but right now- focus on making these last few weeks some of the best moments of your life, because memories are the only gifts we have to hold onto forever. You have the power to make these last memories the ones you will never forget! 

Sky Cowans is a junior at Elon University, majoring in communications with a concentration in broadcast journalism. She is currently a reporter for Elon Local News and Elon in the Morning. Passionate about health and fitness, she is also a group exercise instructor for Elon Campus Rec. In her free time she loves making smoothies, going to the beach, and doing hot power yoga. Sky can be reached at scowans@elon.edu.