Giving Gifts on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

For some reason it seems that there are a lot of spring birthdays and a lot of gift occasions in the spring, so how can we all get our friends something they will love without having to spend all our money? It’s a tough question, but there are some good ideas out there, and here are a few.

One thing that you can do is to create a gift jar, mixed with all sorts of things. Although it sounds like it could be expensive, if you make it rather than buying it, it is much less expensive. For example, chocolate chip cookies in a jar or a candy jar, even a jar filled with makeup or wine mix. Buying a little mason jar and filling it with whatever you would like and then decorating it with a ribbon or painting it makes a perfect gift.

Another idea is a gift basket. Similar to the jar only if your budget is a little bigger and you want to flaunt your creativity a little more! You can have theme baskets. For example if you want to do a sort of calm and soothing, spa themed basket then go to the store and get some bath soaps, maybe some candles, and a face mask and add in some other spa necessities. Just fill up the basket and voile you’re done!

Another idea that is even more inexpensive than the above is making a cookbook for a friend or family member. All you have to do is find a creative way to put it together. It is as easy as printing and stapling or binding. You can make someone his or her very own cookbook. All you have to do is print recipes from the web and find a way to put them together and you have spent close to nothing on a gift!

Lastly are some ideas for specific types of people and how you can make them very happy! Everyone either loves tea or coffee or maybe even both, so for these tea and coffee lovers it is very easy to buy a mug and maybe even
decorate it. Then include some special tea bags they can try or some samples of gourmet coffee. If you have to give a present to someone who loves to cook or bake, make something for him or her and then as part of their gift, include the recipe so they can try it themselves!

It is always difficult shopping for gifts especially when you are on a budget, but with these tips and ideas your gift giving will become something you look forward to doing rather than dreading spending the money!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.