Fashion Forecast: Summer Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It is time to say farewell to spring and welcome summer with full arms. Ditch your old wardrobe and add some exciting new summer looks to your closet. 

Patterned Pants

From stripes to floral, patterned pants have become one of the “must haves” for 2013. Celebrities have been strutting patterned pants all around the world. Instead of all of the attention going to a top or blouse, your pants can be the main focal point of an outfit. Match your pants with a simple blouse and sandals and you have a complete look to shop in or grab a quick lunch with a friend. 

You can find these pants both online and in stores, such as Free People, J Crew, ASOS, Urban Outfitters and more.

Crop Tops

Flirty crop tops have become quite the rage this season. Crop tops are all over the web and many people are mixing these different tops with simple high waisted shorts and skirts. Crop tops allow for a sexy and flirty look; its up to you if you’d like to show your whole stomach or use a high waisted bottom to leave a more conservative look but still show some skin. 

You can find these tops both online and in stores, such as Tobi, Nasty Gal, Free People, Forever 21, Wet Seal and more. 

Vintage 

Many girls have been going back and time and mixing up their 2013 style with some vintage clothing. Vintage has become quite the trend for summer 2013 from heart sunglasses to oxford shoes and red lipstick. You can complete the look with a mustard color dress and scarf. Vintage can also be less expensive; try checking out your local salvation army or good will to see what gems you can mix and match with!

You can find vintage accessories and clothes online and in stores, such as, ModCloth, Urban Outfitters, Nasty Gal, Salvation Army, ASOS and more.

Chunky Jewelry 

Chunky necklaces were extremely popular all year, and now bracelets and rings are starting to make a statement as well. Chunky jewelry is becoming very popular for 2013. Women are focusing more on their jewelry and less on the outfit. A chunky necklace and ring go great together, so does a chunky bracelet and dangly earrings. Try mixing and matching bright colored jewelry together so you can instantly pop in a crowd. 

Chunky jewelry can be found online and in stores, such as Forever 21, Wet Seal, Icing, Urban Outfitters and more.

Neon Colors

Neon colors have made appearances in different seasons over the years. Neon colors made an appearance last summer in pants and are continuing to make an appearance in jewelry, shoes, tops and more. Neon allows the attention to be on you and create a fun look to your outfit. A splash of bright color can go a long way when you’re looking to make a statement. 

You can find neon colors at almost any fashion store or online by keeping your eye out for the bright colors.

Destroyed High-Waisted Shorts

Destroyed shorts have become extremely popular for this summer. Girls are buying shorts for seven dollars and changing them into fashion statements by destroying their own jeans and making them into stylish, cropped shorts. You can make these shorts (see my fashion blog on jean shorts) or buy them at a clothing store. My best advice to you is to take a chance and make your own, this is a fun project to do with friends or to do on a boring summer day.

You can find high waisted or destroyed shorts online or at stores, such as, Urban Outfitters, Nasty Gal, Tobi, Free People, ASOS, Old Navy and many more.

You can make these shorts by visiting stores such as Salvation Army or Good Will

My name is Tatum Pederson and I am a senior at Elon University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Digital Art. I am currently Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Elon and I am an Entertainment Editor for Elon University’s magazine, The Edge. This summer, I was an Entertainment Intern at Niche Media in New York City. I learned how to transcribe interviews, assist at photo shoots, and conduct research on various entertainment topics. Last year, I was an Art and Editorial Intern at ELLE Decor magazine. At this internship, I worked closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Michael Boodro. I edited a “Behind The Scenes” video for the September 2014 Online Shopping section and was also published in the October 2014 issue. Two summers ago, I was an Entertainment Intern for Pink and Black magazine. I researched and wrote numerous articles involving media and entertainment. I am an extremely organized and creative student with experience in both a fast-paced environment and the magazine industry.