This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Summer is right around the corner and that only means one thing: it is time to get ready for the beach! The key to the most relaxing vacation is finding the perfect book to read poolside or on the beach. Having a book that is a page-turner is the best book option, but can be hard to find. Whether you are in the mood for crime, drama, feeling like it is time to cry, romance, activist books or historical fiction we have the perfect list for you with our favorite books from each genre below. Next time you head to the beach, don’t forget to bring one of the following books with you!

1. Romance– any book written by Elin Hilderbrand

Choosing a book that lets you soak up the sun and enjoy the storyline at the same time is the best way to approach vacation, and books by Elin Hilderbrand are perfect for this. All of Erin’s books allow the reader to soak themselves into the plot and say “I’d rather be living in an Elin Hilderbrand novel.” Erin is a Nantucket, MA writer and always knows exactly what a good beach read should be, in fact, all of her books take place on Nantucket. Every one of her stand-alone books are a must-read and my favorite is Summer of ‘69.

2. Crime– In Cold Blood by Truman Capote 

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote is an iconic bestseller crime story about the 1959 murder of the Herbert Clutter family in Kansas. This non-fiction novel is full of crime and is a breathtaking story complete with engaging stories on each page. The book is written like a novel with dialogue and formatted differently than any other crime book before. This crime novel will definitely keep you on your toes.

3. Domestic Fiction- Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

It is always a smart idea to read the original book before watching a remake of it on television. While Little Fires Everywhere was recently released on Hulu starring Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington, the book is much better. It is common that television series don’t always include the most important parts of a book, and that is definitely the case with Little Fires Everywhere. As many watched during quarantine, the original Little Fires Everywhere book by Celeste Ng is about class and motherhood written back in 2017. While the book has many side plots and backstories, it is still very engaging and entertaining to read because, as many would say, the topic is ageless. I would recommend reading this book before watching the Hulu show and allow yourself to compare it to the original book throughout. 

4. Crying- The Art of Racing In The Rain by Garth Stein

The Art of Racing In The Rain by Garth Stein is a feel-good book about a dog and a best friend and is definitely a tear jerker. This sad book is written entirely from the perspective of a dog, which is definitely unique. Bring many tissues to the beach if you decide to read this book.

5. Activist- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo

White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo is a book about becoming an activist, which is extremely important to read today. One should always be educated about their race and class and DiAngelo helps to explain that. According to The Logical Liberal, “if DiAngelo accuses you of racism or fragility and you disagree with her in any way-through argument, silence, or withdrawal-your reaction is considered proof of your fragility”. This is extremely important to note while reading this book. After this book was published back in 2018, it instantly became a New York Times bestseller and received many reviews and sparked important conversations. 

person holding an open book in front of their face
Photo by Leah Kelley from Pexels

Hi! My name is Julia and I am the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Elon! I am a senior majoring in Strategic Communications with a marketing minor in Professional Sales. I am extremely excited to lead Her Campus Elon!