Easy Halloween Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Take a break from costume shopping, and head to the kitchen! These Halloween inspired treats look divine, and taste even better. Whether you are hosting a party, or baking for yourself, creating these spooky treats is a fun and thrilling activity for Halloween.

Poison Apples

Ingredients: 12 Apples, 12 wooden sticks, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup light corn syrup, 1 tsp black gel food coloring

Directions: Wash and dry apples, place on a baking sheet and poke sticks through each apple. Line a second baking sheet with buttered parchment paper, and set aside. Add sugar, corn syrup and 3/4 cup water in a saucepan. Place over medium heat, and whisk until dissolved. Place thermometer in water until it reaches 310 degrees F.  Remove pan from heat and remove thermometer. Add food coloring, stirring until desired color. Swirl the apples in the coloring and place on buttered baking sheet.

Skull Frosted Cookies

Ingredients: 1 cup white chocolate chips, 6 Oreos, 3 tbsp. bittersweet chocolate chips (need a skull- shaped mold)

Directions: Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds. Spoon 1 tbsp. white chocolate into each skull mold. Place a cookie into each mold, and press so the chocolate covers the cookie. Top each cookie with 1 tbsp. white chocolate, using the back of a spoon, and spread over each cookie. Refrigerate for 20 min. Melt the bittersweet chocolate chips for 30 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds. Remove skulls from refrigerator, and pop out of mold. Dip wooden stick into bittersweet chocolate to make eyes and nose on skull. Let stand for about 10 minutes.

Ghost Brownies

Ingredients:

Brownie batter: 1 3/4 cup flour, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 tsp salt, 5 eggs, 1 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla

Ghost topping: 7 oz marshmallow creme, 1-2 boxes ghost peeps

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 13 x 9 baking pan. Mix brownie ingredients, and pour in baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes and allow to cool. Cut brownies and place on plate. Heat the marshmallow creme in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and spread over brownies. Place a ghost peep in the bed of marshmallow on each brownie. Brown the marshmallow creme around the peeps with a torch.

Spiderweb Cupcakes

Ingredients: Chocolate cake mix (follow instructions on box), 1 tub dark chocolate fudge frosting, 2 cups white chocolate chips or white candy melts, 3D spider stickers or spiders (edible or not)

Directions:

Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in muffin pan, and fill 2/3 full with cake batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes, and set on cooling rack when done. Frost cupcakes with glaze/ganache (instructions below)

Ganache: Place chocolate fudge frosting in a bowl, and put in the microwave for 10 seconds. Dip cooled cupcake upside down and into the frosting. Repeat process for all cupcakes

Spiderwebs: Print enough spiderweb templates for all cupcakes. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Slide spiderweb template underneath paper (it should be possible to see spiderwebs through the parchment paper. Place white chocolate chips or white candy melts in microwave and heat according to package directions. Pour into ziploc bag, and snip off tip to create piping sleeve. Trace the spiderweb  designs and chill in refrigerator until hardened. Place webs on ganache-covered cupcakes.