D.I.Y. Pedicure Results in Cute Toes Without the Cost

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

With the onset of warm weather and the availability of adorable sandals in every shape and style, pretty toes are basically a requirement to be stylish for spring. 
            But for a collegiate on a budget, going to a salon and paying $30 for a professional pedicure isn’t always ideal. Luckily, a D.I.Y. pedicure is a simple solution that will save both money and time while still resulting in perfectly groomed, sandal-ready feet.

Tools you will need:

• Polish in your favorite color
  • Base and Top Coat
  • Acetone Nail Polish Remover
  • Nail Clippers
  • Nail File
  • Buffer Block
  • Moisturizer
  • Pumice Stone/Foot Scrub
  • Scented Oil
  • Cuticle Cream
  • Epsom Salt
  • Towel

1. Remove old nail polish with polish remover on a cotton ball. Be sure not to use a tissue because it will fall apart and doesn’t absorb the remover well.
  2.  
  3. Add a small handful of Epsom salt and a few drops of scented oil to warm water and soak your feet for 10 minutes in either a bathtub or a large bowl. If using a bowl, make sure it is for foot use only and place it in your living or bedroom to get more of a spa experience at home.
  4.  
  5. Remove feet from water and dry them with a clean towel. Use a pumice stone or foot scrub to exfoliate your feet and heels by rubbing in any direction, but be careful not to scrub too hard or rub the top of your feet. Thoroughly rinse the stone or scrub after each use. Pat feet dry with towel again.
  6.  
  7. Apply moisturizer and cuticle cream. Additionally, you can massage the arches of your feet for added relief and then push your cuticles back with an orange stick. Do not attempt to cut cuticles because you could do damage to your nail beds.
  8.  
  9. Cut nails with nail clippers and file them to the length of your choice. Many experts say squared nails are their look of choice over rounded tips because it looks more modern. Then buff the tops of each nail to make a smooth surface for the polish.
  10.  
  11. Apply a thin coat of clear base polish and let dry.
  12.  
  13. Apply 2 top coats of colored polish and let dry. Most experts suggest waiting two minutes between each coat.
  14.  
  15. Finish by applying a top coat and let dry for at least an hour.

Additional D.I.Y. pedicure tips:

• Add a few drops of tea tree oil to the water when soaking your feet to fight athlete’s foot and reduce itchiness.
  • Keep nail polish in a cool, dry place like the fridge so it will last longer.
  • Finger and toe nail polish don’t have to match if you choose to do a manicure as well. If you want to do different shades, make sure to go lighter on your hands and darker on feet.

The top six nail polish trends for spring 2011 (according to refinery29.com):

• Natural Nudes
  • Light Blue
  • Peachy Pink
  • Lavender
  • Metallic Gray
  • Shimmery Top Coats

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.