This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

From a childhood television actor, to teen pop star, Demi Lovato has grown up to become a well-spoken woman and powerful performer. She, just like the rest of us, cares about things that matter and is not afraid to voice her opinions. She is a person. With opinions and feelings and just like the rest of us she also makes mistakes.

In July of this past summer, Demi Lovato suffered a relapse and was rushed to the hospital for a drug overdose. Since 2010 Lovato has visited rehab facilities and has made spoken publicly that both substance abuse and eating disorders are something that she struggles with. After her trip to the hospital, Lovato posted on Instagram a photo with this as the caption, “I now need time to focus on my sobriety and road to recovery. The love you all have shown me will never be forgotten and I look forward to the day where I can say I came out of this on the other side.”

Despite what has happened to her and what she deals with, Demi has a very positive outlook on her future and really seems to want to work on herself and better herself. Not only has Lovato struggled with addiction, but she was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

In my own life, I have seen these two things go hand in hand more often than not. I’ve seen it with my own family members, addiction can truly break someone down completely and bring them to rock bottom. Many times it’s because they feel they have nothing else. Nothing else can make them happy, nothing else can make them feel normal, it’s a coping method for them. And unless you are there with them, in their body, understanding how they think and how they are feeling, it is incredibly hard to understand it. And many don’t.

Demi I think has a really great outlook on her situation and when addressing the public about it she does a good job in conveying her struggle. To be open and honest about it all is the most important part. She is working to better herself and wants the world to know it. Everyone makes a mistake, everyone can relapse, fall back into old habits.

It’s what they do when they make the mistake when the relapse happens, when the habits come back that should defy them. Not the mistake. And that is what makes Demi, Demi. She is trying. She is learning. She is trying to better herself not just for us. But for herself. And that is what matters. Not the mistake. What she is doing with it.  

We could all take a note from Demi.

Just a girl who loves soup, Krispy Kreme and parmesan twists.