The Carolina Cup – What to Wear & How to Prepare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Warm weather is finally hitting the south and the annual Carolina Cup is right around the corner. This premiere event is gearing up Carolina students for what is known to be one of the largest gatherings of the season.  For those of you attending, prepare to participate in one of the biggest tailgates of your life. While the horse races are the main purpose of the event, it is the Greek row of tents that attracts college students on this day. If you are a first timer, pay close attention to how to prepare and what to wear to ensure a successful and memorable Carolina Cup.

In preparation for your first Cup, you get the honors of creating the frattiest cooler for your date. You can decorate the sides however you’d like, typically making each picture on your cooler something your date can relate to. Next, make sure you pack the cooler with plenty of snacks and drinks for you and your date. Carolina Cup is a long day and you don’t want to run short. As for clothing, you will want to be sporting your preppiest sundress. Think “southern bell” or Lilly Pulitzer and your right on track. Then, if you didn’t think it could get any preppier, you’ll want to find the perfect sunhat to match. Get into it, I mean, when else can you wear a giant sunhat and not feel awkward?

Next, now that you’ve got the outfit and the cooler all ready and stocked, you’ll want to take precautionary measures. Don’t take anything you don’t mind losing. This includes your phone, camera, and other personal items. Also, weather is never on your side so be okay with the fact that it could very well rain. Therefore, slip-and-slides and mud wrestling shouldn’t come as a shock to you. In recent years, there’s been a reputation for it being a mud mess. That being said, embrace the rain but hope for sunshine.