Campus Celebrity: Matthew Jegier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Matthew is the Elon Men’s Soccer Tem Goalkeeper…He’s #1 on the Field #1 in our hearts!

Hometown: Charlotte, NC

Birthday: March 1, 1996

Year: Sophomore

Major: Finance & Management

What is your favorite part about playing soccer for Elon? Even though this sounds cheesy, my favorite part is probably the team. I get to play the sport I love with really good guys.

What do you hope to do after college? I’m trying to keep all the doors open, so going pro and playing for MLS is not out of the question. If not I will definitely be looking to get an entry-level financial job.

Why did you choose Elon? I came here for the academics and athletics. Obviously the soccer team, which is consistently one of the top 50 in nation, as well as the Business Fellows program were big reasons for me to come to Elon.   

Where is your favorite place to travel? My favorite place to vacation is any beach with my family!

Why do you like soccer? Soccer is the biggest sport in the world. It is the most international, most understood sport. It is a language. I have played in three different continents. After playing in Spain, South Africa, and America I understand that you don’t need English to communicate, you can play with anyone.

When did you know you wanted to play in college? Probably at the beginning of sophomore year of high school. That was when I became determined to play in college.  

What is the hardest part of being a college athlete? I would say getting a good mix of athletics and academics is the hardest part. I find it difficult sometimes to give 100% to both. The balance is hard to find, not impossible, but you can’t have too much of to one over the other, you just have to get that mix right.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time (not soccer)? Haha well if I have any time, I love just hanging out with friends.

Do you like home games or away games better? Why? I like home games better for sure because of the crowd. That energy coming from 1500 people at games is amazing. Also, my family can come and watch! 

Are you single? Yes

(That’s right ladies…!)