This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It’s that time of the academic year where you spend sleepless nights reading through chunky textbooks and downing at least three cups of coffee per day: finals week. We all dread this week and it’s mainly because we don’t really know how to study, especially when we are overwhelmed with countless amounts of assignments. The truth is that when we have so many things to do, we often forget how to break them down in an efficient manner. I’m here to tell you a few ways you can break your work down and make your finals week a little bit less stressful.

Organize!

Organization is your golden ticket to studying effectively. Whether it be just two assignments or nine, the way you plan how you will do your work is essential. I suggest grabbing a planner and highlighting key due dates and even designating times when you will do each assignment. 

Location Matters

When it comes to studying, no one wants to be in a dark room all day drowning in their textbook. Where you study is important because you want to be in a space where you can be productive. Going to your local cafe or finding a quiet space in the library can help you to stay your most productive self. 

Study with a Friend 

Studying alone for hours on end is never fun and oftentimes it’s easy to get distracted. Studying with a friend is a great way to hold yourself accountable for your studying and makes it less painful. Being with others can encourage you to build strong study habits and make studying go by faster.

Take Breaks

A car can only drive so many miles before running out of gas, and that’s exactly how your brain works. It’s important to take breaks during studying as it helps refresh your brain and helps you to retain the information better. Segmenting your studying into sections of 30 to 45 minutes can help you to stay focused and on track. 

Remember to Take Care of Yourself 

No one can study when you’ve had zero hours of sleep and you haven’t probably fueled your body in days. No matter how stressed you may be, it’s important to take a step back and take care of yourself. Nourish your body with fruits and vegetables and still maintain a sound sleep schedule in order to keep you your best self. 

Best of luck with finals! 

xoxo 

Her Campus Elon 

Jess Kalinowski is currently a junior enrolled at Elon University whose majoring in both Strategic Communications and Media Analytics. She is also minoring in Psychology and Business Administration. At the age of 20, she enjoys writing, reading, and volunteering. Born and raised for the first ten years of her life in Australia, she has always had a desire to better understand how the world communicates with itself. Her passion in life is to make it easier for others to understand and connect with each other and hopes to find a career that will enable her to do so.