Style

Behind Brooklynn Street Shop: Meet Brooke Lowrey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Before you dive into this read, open Instagram and check out @brooklynnstreetshop. Now that you’re caught up, let’s learn about the badass girl behind the brand. Meet Brooke Lowrey. Brooke is a senior at Elon University majoring Communication Design, originally from St. Louis, MO. She also happens to be the inspired gal who started Brooklynn Street Shop back in 2010. I chatted with her about her background, inspiration, future plans, and everything in between. Check it out below!

Tell me about yourself!

“I love any and all things related to content creation and brand development. I love the notion of building an idea from the ground up and giving it a platform to inspire and engage with other people.”

What’s your favorite quote?

“Be messy and complicated and afraid and show up anyways.” – Glennon Doyle Melton

What exactly is Brooklynn Street Shop?

“Brooklynn Street is an online clothing store and blog centered around connecting and inspiring women.”

How did you start Brooklynn Street?

“I started my site when I was in high school and it was a fashion blog. As my life changed and I grew up, I started to include more lifestyle content relevant to what I was experiencing. A year ago, I finally made the decision to launch the store so people could shop the styles that I love and wear.”

Where do you get your inspiration from?

“My main inspiration from the beginning of launching is my grandmother. She was the most elegant, stylish, kind and spirited woman. I also get a lot of inspiration from traveling and meeting new people. I have tried to stop scrolling through Instagram when I want to be inspired because I feel like it is a lot of the same content. It is way more fun to get out there and experience life before social media.”

What have you currently been up to with the brand?

“Very exciting things! We are about to launch a new clothing collection inspired by my recent travels and events. We are expanding into some unisex pieces so the dudes can get their merch too! We also hired badass, Kit McHutchinson, for marketing so our team is growing!”

Do you have any future plans to expand?

“The connecting and networking piece is really important to me and will be a big part of how the brand will expand. Brooklynn Street is about to expand more into networking and building a platform for badass women to connect and collaborate with each other.  At the end of the day, everything that we do is centered around being a positive presence on the internet. We want to do all we can to empower and support women in creating their dreams – whether that be dressing great or connecting them to a job opportunity.”

What do you want to do after graduation with Brooklynn Street?

“I am really excited to graduate and have Brooklynn Street be my full focus and job. It will allow for a bigger opportunity to keep up with new content and merchandise.”

Feeling inspired? Visit and shop Brooklynn Street today!

Fairfield, Connecticut Elon University, Class of 2019