Style > Beauty

Beauty Picks for Every “Type” of Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

The All-Nighter

We all know the girl who chooses to skip out on Thirsty Thursday to head over to Belk Library instead. You’ll find her sipping on an Americano instead of Franzia to study for her Organic Chemistry exam. Even though she spends most of her time with her head in the books, she still wants to look good. Girls who are up all night studying obviously lack some sleep, so they should use a salmon-based or peach-based concealer to hide their tired eyes, like Bobbi Brown Cream Concealer and Corrector. To give her complexion light coverage and a boost, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer is perfect because it contains Retinol to treat and nourish your skin even if you have to pull an all-nighter at the library. To add a natural glow to your skin so you don’t look washed out, try swiping some sheer color on your cheekbones, like Nars Laguna Multiple. Keep your lips hydrated with Neutrogena’s Moisture Smooth Color Stick in Fresh Papaya for moisture and to add some color. For the last touch, use CoverGirl’s NatureLuxe Mousse Mascara in Black Brown for an eye-opening effect.

The Party Girl

Forget the library – this girl never skips a party. You’ll see her out Thursday through Saturday, and probably on Tuesday for trivia and West End Wednesday too. She needs her makeup to last her all night – and maybe even through the morning. Getting your makeup to stick starts from the base. One of my favorite primers is Benefit’s The POREfessional. It gives your skin a smooth surface for the rest of your products to be set on. A full coverage foundation is best for a night out, so try Revlon Colorstay foundation. It’s one of the best drugstore foundations out there because of its lasting power, coverage and two different formulas for dry or oily skin types. I imagine “the party girl” being edgy, and a cat eye is one of the most edgy looks. Gel liner is easier than liquid liner and L’Oreal Infallible Gel Lacquer Liner is one of the best. Use black or a vibrant color like eggplant. Finish off the eyes with long-lasting mascara like Diorshow Waterproof Mascara in Black or Azure Blue. Nars’ Laguna/Orgasm duo is the perfect combination for sexy, flushed cheeks. Using a lip tint will ensure your lip color stays put drink after drink, so use Benefit’s Benetint. Keep Revlon’s Lip Butter in Red Velvet in your cross-body bag for touch-ups and extra color. To finish off the look before your night out, spritz Urban Decay’s All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray to keep your makeup on all night.

The Sorority Girl

The sorority girl at Elon tailgates the football game, enjoys “Frat-urday” and rocks letters on Tuesdays. She goes to Local Yogurt after chapter and she can’t wait for the next mixer with her favorite fraternity. Sorority girls should always look put together, but still look natural. Start off with a light coverage foundation, like Urban Decay’s Naked Skin Foundation (Revlon makes a similar product, also called Naked Skin Foundation). For a natural flush, apply Benefit CORALista Blush on your cheeks. To add some definition to your eyes, use a brown or bronze liner just along the lash line. Try either Urban Decay’s 24/7 Eyeliner in Bourbon or L’Oreal’s Infallible Gel Lacquer Liner in Bronze, depending on whether you like pencil or gel liners more. For lengthy and voluminous lashes, use Maybelline’s The Falsies Flared Mascara. To finish off the look, apply a peachy-pink lip gloss like NARS Lipgloss in Orgasm.

The Athlete 

You can find “the athlete” on a varsity team here, going on a run around campus or hitting up all of the Campus Rec classes. Either way, she wants to look good while she’s working out. It is so important to wear SPF on a daily basis and especially if you are working out outside. BB Creams are a new craze in the beauty industry because they provide great SPF protection and light coverage. Some BB Creams offer other skin benefits as well, but the most important one in this case is sun protection. Many skincare and cosmetic brands have come out with BB Creams, but I’d recommend Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45+++ because its lightweight coverage features mineral sunscreen and it’s oil-free so it won’t clog your pores. It also offers brightening properties and protects your skin from harsh environmental factors. Your lips need to be treated and protected as well, so apply Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 in Clear or Rose if you want slight color before or throughout your workout. It is the most hydrating and nourishing lip balm I have ever tried! Lastly, to add a little something to your eyes, apply a natural mascara that is waterproof. Revlon’s Grow Luscious Waterproof Mascara in Blackened Brown adds a natural-looking definition to your eyes and has a lash-enhancing formula to develop better natural lashes.