Ballin’ on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Let’s face it, college is WAY too expensive.  Now add in food, social and clothing costs.  Suddenly, college seems overwhelming and impossible to afford.  We all have certain standards of living that we’re accustomed to, so I’ve spent the past two years of college finding ways to stay relatively on budget while still keeping up with the latest trends guilt-free.

1. Resell apps

Google this and dozens will come up.  My personal favorite is Poshmark because it’s one of the most popular ones used.  You can sell all your old clothes, shoes, and accessories pretty quickly, or you can find more things you need!  It has every brand you can imagine.  Longchamp, Steve Madden, Kate Spade, Tory Burch, Michael Kors– you get the idea.  I saved hundreds of dollars while still buying exactly what I wanted.  It’s a great way to keep up with the latest trends and earn money back by selling other clothes.  Any time you own something with a ‘name brand’, there is someone out there willing to buy it.

2.  Sell yo sh*t (at school)

Most colleges now have Facebook groups specifically to sell unwanted clothes, shoes, and even apartment items.  A lot of students, especially freshmen (sorry but it’s true) bring WAY too many things for their dorm.  A quick post can get you $20 for that old North Face you stopped wearing two years ago.  I bought a large Longchamp bag for $45!

3.  Start a small business

This requires you to have a desirable skill (which all you lovely readers definitely have).  If you’re good at painting, offer to do custom canvases for Big/Little reveal or coolers for Banquet season.  Photography skills?  Take senior portraits in the spring!  You can make about $60-$100 per one photography session.  Think of all the Tangent tacos you can now afford.

4.  Ebay

Okay, so this one is a bit old-fashioned, but hear me out.  I’ve made hundreds of dollars by selling old sporting equipment.  Think about it.  Parents are the main users of Ebay and are constantly looking for things for their children.  Dig out your high school lacrosse stick and cleats and BOOM– $150 in your pocket.

5.  Be smart with the places you shop

Yes, Urban Outfitters has everything beautiful and wonderful, but I guarantee you’ll find equally cute bed sets at Target.  Helpful tip, check out their children’s section.  They have super cute lamps, pillows and shower curtains.  This goes for kitchenware too.  Target has a variety of dish and pan sets that are pretty cute.  Ditch the bone china for generic plates and voila, you’ve saved $35.  Plus, no one cares how cute the plates are because they’re too distracted shoveling food in their mouths.

6. Store credit cards & reward cards

Not all stores have programs that are worth the effort but do some research.  If you constantly shop at Target, think about a Target debit card and always save 5 percent.  Starbucks has a great rewards program that’s definitely worth it if you have one on campus.  Do some digging and see if your local grocery store has a similar program.

The bottom line is, college will be expensive, but don’t let that get you down!  This article proves that with a little creativity, you can save and earn money to ease your conscious.

I'm a junior marketing major looking to impact the fashion world!