9 Things to Know for an Internship Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Preparing for an internship interview? Here are 9 things you should know!

1. Reread the job description and your resume before your interview!

2. Be ready to talk about yourself. Prepare by coming up with a short list of your strengths and weaknesses.

3. Many interviewers will ask you a give-me-an-example-of-a-time type question, so jot down a few examples of times you:

– Faced conflict and worked through it.

– Took a leadership position. What type of leader were you?

4. Know what you like about the internship and why you think you would be the right fit for their company and why the company would be a right fit for you.

5. Interviewers will probably ask you a question about academics. Sometimes questions will be vague, for example: Why did you choose your major or area of study? Some questions will be more specific: What was the most challenging part of your academic work?

6. If you have a portfolio, bring it! (If it is online, bring the link). Depending on your field, many interviewers will ask to see an example of your work.

7. The most asked question is, “What are your career goals?” Be specific in your answer. This is your time to show how serious you are about your career.

8. Close the interview with confidence. Have a question or two ready for the interviewer regarding the position or company. Afterwards, thank the interviewer for his/her time.

9. Follow up!! Send a thank you note or email and express your appreciation for the interview and interest in the position.

Before you walk into an interview – whether you physically walk into an office or you have a phone or Skype interview – make sure you practice a few responses in a mirror to avoid rambling. My biggest piece of advice goes back to tip #1: reread and study the job description and your resume to know the qualifications the company is seeking in an intern and what experience or skills you have to fit those qualifications.

Good luck on your future interviews!